Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Boston: V is for Venetian Palace

Welcome to my third year participating in the A-Z Blogging Challenge. This year's theme is BOSTON.

Today's letter is V which will showcase a Venetian Palace.

I absolutely fell in love with Isabella Stewart Gardner - the woman and her museum. Someday I plan to research this mighty feminist who was most certainly ahead of her time. But for now, I will simply admire her love of the arts, her attention to detail, and her generosity to the people of Boston.

Last week I discussed her art collection, but today I want to focus on the architecture. 

The Doge's Palace on the Grand Canal in Venice, Italy.
Isabella Stewart Gardner commissioned the architects to
build a replica of a 15th Century Venetian Palace - similar
to this one. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the outside 
of her museum, as it was under reconstruction during my visit.

First-floor hallway around the atrium garden.
The gothic arches give the space
a sense of grandeur.
Taken from a third-floor window
looking down on the atrium garden.
Stunning!



Peering into the "secret garden"


6 comments:

  1. This was fascinating as I'd never heard of this Boston site or Ms. Gardner. If I'm ever in Boston again for any length of time I'll have to be on the watch for this.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a stunning garden. I really like courtyards - you've got a spot of nature to enjoy, along with privacy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails