Saturday, April 21, 2018

Boston: S is for Swan Boats

Welcome to my third year participating in the A-Z Blogging Challenge. This year's theme is BOSTON.

Today's letter is S which will showcase the Swan Boats.

My second full day in Boston I ventured across Longfellow Bridge, made my down Charles Street through Beacon Hill, and eventually ended up in the Public Garden. 

The lush trees, tranquil lake, and familiar laughter of young children brought back memories of Central Park in New York City. But I soon learned that the Public Garden is a space all its own.

I've already referenced the delightful Make Way for Ducklings statue at the entrance to the park, but the Swan Boats truly captivated my attention.


These pedal-powered boats have graced
these waters since 1877.

The Swan Boats are in operation from mid-April until Labor Day.
Rides are approximately fifteen minutes
Cost: $4.00 for adults and $2.50 for children

The Swan Boats
by: George Luks
circa 1922

14 comments:

  1. Glad you gave me a good reason to come back to Boston for Swan Boat ride. Only thing is we usually visit during fall break at which time the swan has gone into hibernation. That's probably why I didn't know about it.

    Happy Weekend!

    https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.ch/2018/04/s-is-for-sydney.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw them the Sunday before Labor Day. I didn't know they would hibernate the following week!

      Delete
  2. I loved those swan boats. They were all in dock when I was walking through the park. Lovely to see though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pure luck that I got to see them when I did. The next week... they were put away for the season

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm excited to return some day and actually ride them :)

      Delete
  4. We were just down in Boston today visiting Emerson College which is across from the Boston Common. It was a beautiful spring day and so many people were out enjoying the park and gardens. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely! Glad to hear the temps are (finally) warming up in the North East...

      Delete
  5. When I think of Boston, this is one of the images that comes into my head. I'd love to go for a ride in one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Swan Boats are a must-see (and must-ride) for any Boston visitor. And Boston citizens should go for a cruise every so often too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more reason I want to return to your lovely city!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails