Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Boston: O is for the Old North Church

Welcome to my third year participating in the A-Z Blogging Challenge. This year's theme is BOSTON.

Today's letter is O which will showcase the Old North Church.

 (caveat: this post first appeared in October 2016 ... but since it perfectly fit with today's challenge, I decided to revise and republish).

My husband was able to join me for the last few days of my Boston visit, and we enjoyed exploring the Harbor, the green spaces, and the North End. His bucket list items, however, were to see Paul Revere's House and the Old North Church.


I guess he was really excited to see this latter landmark because anytime we passed a historical building (and there were many), Geoff would ask if that was the Old North Church. It became comical after a while and by the end of the trip, we counted six of them all over Boston.

I thought it might be fun to share these rare finds with you.

THE Old North Church

Old North Church #2
(aka New North Church)

also known as St. Stevens Church

Old North Church #3
(aka Park Street Church)
Granary Burial Ground is adjacent to it
Boston's 3rd oldest cemetery



Old North Church #4
(aka Old South Meeting House)

organizing point for the Boston Tea Party


Old North Church #5
(aka Trinity Church)

across Dartmouth Street from Boston Public Library
surrounded by fabulous Farmer's Market


Old North Church #6
(aka Old South Church)

across Boylston Street from Boston Public Library

8 comments:

  1. Molly, I love old architecture, especially old churches. Thank you for sharing these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I would have liked to spend more time there. Unfortunately, it is within close proximity to the library - which hijacked me for several hours :)

      Delete
  3. #4 is my favorite Boston church because it's a beautiful old building surrounded by fancy mirror glass skyscrapers - what a contrast!

    https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.ch/2018/04/o-is-for-oakland.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the contrast too :) That is what I noticed most in Boston as well as London: history is not relegated to one specific area but rather incorporated into the growth of the city.

      Delete
  4. I love seeing old buildings next to new ones.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails