Thursday, April 12, 2018

Boston: K is for King's Chapel Burying Ground

Welcome to my third year participating in the A-Z Blogging Challenge. This year's theme is BOSTON.

Today's letter is K which will showcase the King's Chapel Burying Ground.

Okay, I will admit that I am cheating once again. While there is a King's Chapel Burying Ground, I only visited the Granary Burying Ground - a mere three-minute walk away.

While King's Chapel is the oldest cemetery in Boston (1630), the Granary Burying Ground is the third-oldest (1660) and serves as the final resting spot for such notable Americans as Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, and John Hancock.


What I adore about this city is the juxtaposition of modern vs historical.
Here we have a cemetery dating back to 1630 ... with contemporary
architecture rising in the background.

A simple tombstone for an American patriot.

SO many of these tombstones... the crossbones at the top
the death date of a child on the bottom. Here...
a mere toddler rests in peace.

I searched for this humble tombstone:
here lies Mother Goose ... who helps parents say goodnight to
 our children (and grandchildren)

7 comments:

  1. I don't think you are cheating. You are giving us info about the 'K' while sharing pictures and other tidbits about both the 'G' and the 'K'. That skull and crossbones is a bit weird for child's grave or so it seems to me. Why not an angel or lamb or something. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think alike :)
      And I agree with you... skull and crossbones for a two-year-old is a bit creepy.

      Delete
  2. I have never been to any of the cemeteries in Boston but do find cemeteries in general to be interesting places to visit. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find them interesting as well - especially old ones with lots of history.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting facts, I didn't realize that Mother Goose was a real person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME NEITHER! I did a bit of research about the cemetery before going. Once I discovered she was buried there, I knew I had to find her.

      Delete
  4. Greetings from a fellow A to Z-er. I am so impressed that the headstones have lasted for such a long time.
    In my A to Z I wrote about Daniel Dana who is buried near Harvard Square. New England headstones are different to those in Australia where our 19th century headstones are often weathering too fast.
    Regards
    Anne fellow A to Z-er
    My A to Z took me around the world but Harvard was one of the places
    https://ayfamilyhistory.com/2018/04/04/d-is-for-daniel/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails