Monday, April 23, 2018

Boston: T is for the "T"

Welcome to my third year participating in the A-Z Blogging Challenge. This year's theme is BOSTON.

Today's letter is T which will showcase Boston's subway system, otherwise known as the "T".

Interestingly, Boston was the first city to utilize underground tunnels for public transportation. The Tremont Street station opened in 1897 and is still in use today.


The subway earned its nickname because the logo for The Massachusettes Bay Transportation Authority, which oversees all the city's public transportation systems, is the letter T inside a circle. Over the years, passengers began to refer to the subway as the "T" and it stuck.

I found the system easy to navigate, and I felt safe on all the trains. Mind you, I only traveled to the popular stops during daylight hours, but I found it a reliable and inexpensive method of transportation. My son and his contemporaries, however, relied on Uber rides. I suppose that shows my age.


While most of the tracks are underground, I only have pictures
of the trains in the outdoors. Here I'm waiting for the train to
arrive after my full day at the Museum of Fine Art (MFA)

I rode this train often as it is the subway that crosses
Longfellow Bridge into Cambridge.


8 comments:

  1. The T, I forgot about that nickname! Like you, I took a couple of outdoor pictures. The red trains are so pretty.

    https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.ch/2018/04/t-is-for-toronto.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After writing this entry, I now want to return to Boston and pay more attention to the subway stations :)

      Delete
  2. Of course, T is for the T! Cool. I didn't go through much of Boston, but I was really comfortable using the T in the downtown area and around the airport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't take the T to the airport, but I wouldn't be opposed to it (provided I don't overpack and have too much luggage to maneuver on the train) :)

      Delete
  3. I remember hearing about riding the subways and the Els in Chicago. I was three years old. One time, it was snowing and the wheels hitting the snow on the rails causes sparks that scared me. I am enjoying your Boston challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohh... I bet as an adult those sparks would appear beautiful!

      Delete
  4. I have ridden the T many, many times. It's great although interesting that the younger generation prefers to use uber. I never thought of the impact ride sharing would have on subways. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought of public transportation is the "cheap" alternative. But actually, when three or more were going to the same place, Uber was just as cost effective. I am not a fan of traffic, however... so I still prefer traveling underground :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails