Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Boston: I is for the Irish Connection

Welcome to my third year participating in the A-Z Blogging Challenge. This year's theme is BOSTON.

Today's letter is I which will showcase the Irish Connection.

The Irish Famine Memorial is a lovely tribute to the brave families who left their native country for the hopes of a better life in America. Located in the middle of this bustling city, I stumbled upon this little park while walking to Quincy Market. I probably spent thirty minutes viewing the statues, reading the accompanying plaques, and counting my blessings.


This statue accurately depicts the dire
poverty of the Irish during the Great Famine.

A second statue depicts an Irish family
who are living the American dream...
plenty of food, adequate clothing, and aspirations
for an even brighter future for the next generation.


6 comments:

  1. As an Irish-American, with an Irish name, I've always joked that moving to Boston 20 years ago was like sending coals to Newcastle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you were Irish! I am a mutt but... I did marry an Italian (which I plan to showcase with the letter N) :)

      Delete
  2. Yes!! (From my perspective) Boston and Chicago are the most Irish U.S. cities. How can I say this? St. Patrick's Day is big there ;-) Which is my favorite holiday.

    https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.ch/2018/04/i-is-for-irvine.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh.... maybe I should do a Chicago A-Z some year?! :)

      Delete
  3. My family arrived in Boston from Cork in the 1880s. You are opening my eyes to so many things and places I need to visit in Boston on our next visit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could trace my family back to the original home country - but so far no luck.
      I don't think I could ever tire of walking around this city - so much to see and all within close proximity.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails