Monday, April 16, 2018

Boston: N is for North End

Welcome to my third year participating in the A-Z Blogging Challenge. This year's theme is BOSTON.

Today's letter is N which will showcase the North End.

About a week ago I showcased the letter I for Boston's Irish Connection. Today we will showcase the city's Italian influence.

While I am the equivalent to the human mutt... my husband is 100% Italian. I have always yearned for an ethnic heritage and am forever grateful for his family's acceptance of me into their rich ancestral culture.

While the North End is synonymous with America's iconic historical landmarks such as Paul Revere's home (look for the letter R entry) and the Old North Church (tomorrow's letter O entry) ... today it is known as Boston's Little Italy.

During my four week stay in Boston, I am sure I visited the North End no less than three times. It was home... in a longing, adoptive sort of way.

The influence of the Catholic Church is still strong
in the North End. Several parishes can be found in
this small neighborhood - each showcasing marble
statues of their patron saints.

My husband and I both attended parochial elementary school
(his Catholic - mine Episcopalian).
Seeing these young students dressed in their uniforms
brought back many memories. Unfortunately, not all
of them fond memories...

As one would expect, authentic Italian restaurants
abound in this neighborhood. We simply did not have
enough time to taste-test our way through them all.

Italian Wedding cookies are my husband's favorite.
While the flavor is a bit bland for my taste, the varied
colors and shapes make any dessert table a festive celebration.

6 comments:

  1. I bet those cookies were fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told... I find them prettier than tasty. But I do love a good canoli :)

      Delete
  2. I hear you about Parochial Ed. I went to public schools, but I certainly had my share of run-ins with Iron Fisted Nuns during catechism! Didn't get to this area, must go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You absolutely MUST return - and be prepared to sample at least two meals :)

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of Italian Wedding cookies. All I have seen are Mexican Wedding cookies. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Mexican wedding cookies - all that delicious powdered sugar sprinkled over a buttery dough :) Italian cookies are maybe more like shortbread (?) but quite colorful. They are typically sold by the pound and customers are encouraged to mix 'n match

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails