Thursday, April 5, 2018

Boston: E is for Education

Welcome to my third year participating in the A-Z Blogging Challenge. This year's theme is BOSTON.

Today's letter is E which will showcase Education.

Boston is home to 35 colleges and universities ... most notably Boston College, Boston University, Berklee College of Music, Massachusettes Institute of Technology (MIT), Tufts University, New England Conservatory of Music and... Harvard University.


Harvard University - the creme de la creme.
I had no chance of attending as an undergrad, but I
relished my time on campus as a visitor.

Widener Library
I imagined the smell of the stacks and
envisioned the reading room filled with students
sitting at long tables, hovering over their laptops,
writing the next great literary essay.

Statue of John Harvard - also known as the statue of three lies
1. It is not John Harvard
2. John  Harvard is not the founder of the university
3. The university was founded in 1636 (not 1638 as listed)
However... the superstition remains unchanged:
rub his foot on the way to class for good luck.

Havard Lampoon Building
I'm not quite sure of its significance.  but I love the animated face

I splurged and took the "Hahvahd" Tour - well worth the $$
Each tour guide is a current Harvard student.
Not only are the guides knowledgeable about the buildings
on campus, but they are also available to answer any
questions about the rigor of an Ivy League education.


14 comments:

  1. That is a lot of educational institutions! Boston U was one of the places I was considering going to grad school at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considered Boston College :) My brother actually went to Tufts and New England Conservatory, but I never had the opportunity to visit him while he was in school.

      Delete
  2. I walked around the Harvard campus when in Boston one year, but I really wish I'd taken a tour. Every time I see any of the Harvard buildings, the movie Paper Chase comes to mind. Do you remember that one - the law students studying in the library until all hours? I loved that movie and wanted that life!
    https://profoundjourney.com E is for (The) End of Absence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember Paper Chase - and almost considered law school (for about two weeks and then I came to my senses). The tour made the visit to Harvard far more interesting!

      Delete
  3. I had no idea there were quite so many educational facilities in Boston. Happy A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO many (and probably some I've never heard of) :)

      Delete
  4. Boston is probably THE American city representing education!
    I'm currently watching "Suits", a lawyer series about a guy who works for a law firm, and successfully so, without having attended Harvard as he claims to have.

    https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.ch/2018/04/e-is-for-edmonton.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Suits! I didn't watch it when it was first released, but have binge-watched several seasons on a paid subscription channel (and now I will watch Meghan Markle a.k.a. Rachel ... wed Prince Harry next month) :)

      Delete
  5. As a Bostonian I fit the bill with ties to two educational institutions - Simmons College where I got my Library Science degree and Harvard where I'm employed. My children get their education in the excellent Boston Public Schools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are employed at Harvard?! I am only slightly jealous :)
      As you can tell by my A-Z theme... I fell in love with your fabulous city. I'd love to hear a native's comments on the places I only had a chance to briefly visit.

      Delete
    2. I love hearing what visitors think of Boston. I give tours of Boston as a hobby so I'm very proud to show off the city.

      Delete
    3. You give tours?! How would one register for one of your tours, if say, one were to return to Boston for another extended stay?

      Delete
  6. My husband got his MBA from Boston University but didn't attend one class on campus! We were overseas in the military living in Belgium and he was a part of there overseas campus, which only lasted long enough for him to get his degree, then they closed down the program. Great school, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear more of your overseas adventure in Belgium!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails