Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Day 4: Affirmations to combat Impostor Syndrome


Perfection is not necessary to make a real and
lasting difference in other people's lives.
~ J. K. Rowling

I love this sentiment. I believe the concept. For everyone but me.

I think that's the way Perfectionists view the world. We are always the exception to the rule.

While this may sound prideful, I can assure you, it is not because we are arrogant and think more highly of ourselves than we ought. To the contrary, we think we are never good enough.

I struggle with identifying a life purpose. When applied to me, purpose must be world-changing and impactful. "Real" purpose is equal to ministering to third world countries or finding the cure for cancer. Because I know these goals are personally unattainable, I reason my life is less worthy.

Now mind you, I do NOT have the same expectation of others. While driving down the highway, I respect the life purpose of those filling the potholes. They are making the streets safe. When visiting Mom in the nursing home, I revered those who changed her bed and cleaned the bathroom. They provided Mom a home away from home. When I grocery shop I am grateful for the stock clerks who keep the shelves full and the labels facing out.

I know instinctively that each day we wake up means there is a purpose to our lives. Sometimes it can be as simple as chatting with a friend who needs a sympathetic ear. Or sometimes just reading a good book with a cup of tea is what we are meant to do. Caring for ourselves is necessary. In fact, some would argue, we can't properly care for others until our personal needs are met.

Delilah tries to convince me otherwise. She tells me indulging in personal interests is selfish. She constantly reminds me of my shortcomings. She convinces me I can not achieve worthy pursuits. She fills my mind with negative thought so I won't recognize purpose in the simple things.

One way to combat Delilah's attacks is to live in the present. Rather than focus on a lifetime purpose and making a lasting impression, I should focus on today and simply make myself available when needed. That is worthy enough.

That each of them may eat and drink, and 
find satisfaction in their toil - this is the gift of God.
Ecclesiastes 3:13 (NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails