Sunday, October 22, 2017

Day 22: Affirmations to combat Impostor Syndrome


By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.
~ Benjamin Franklin

I've discussed planning for the past few days. Perhaps I've needed to focus on a perceived strength to combat Delilah's constant barbs of unworthiness.

But you know what? She even tries to sabotage these positive thoughts.

Sure, Molly, she chides. No one disputes your planning ability. But do you have to be so rigid? Can't you loosen up a bit? Do you have to be so set in your ways - so demanding?

She immediately brings to mind a past family vacation to Disney World. I did the research. I read the books (this was before the age of instant access internet). I knew which parks to visit on which days for maximum fun. I plotted our daily course, arriving at the exact hour the park opened and leaving once the final firework faded into the night sky.

By the third day, the family was about ready to call a mutiny. We had yet to visit Magic Kingdom (it was the last park to offer early admission). The kids were exhausted (we're on vacation - why do you have to set the alarm?). And they wanted time to swim in the Disney themed pool.

Did we benefit from my research and attention to detail? Yes, I believe we did.
But did we suffer because I was too interested in keeping a "perfect" schedule rather than focusing on family fun? Yes, unfortunately.

It's okay to plan. In fact, it is necessary. But there is a time to lead and a time to follow. I must always be willing to give up control in favor of the Lord's guidance.  

The heart of a man plans his way,
But the Lord establishes his steps.
Proverbs 16:9 (ESV)


SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails