Friday, October 20, 2017

Day 20: Affirmations to combat Impostor Syndrome


Plans are useless, but
Planning is indispensable.
~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

I make no apologies: I am a planner.

I love to make schedules (and adhere to them). I thrive on journals and to-do lists. I carry my bullet journal with me at all times and make constant reference to the week's activities.

One of my favorite artist dates is to visit the local office supply store and wander the aisles. I salivate at the array of colorful post-it notes, paper clips, and pens.

I used to think I was alone in this planner obsession until I met the online community. I'm proud to consider myself a part of this tribe.

But over the years I have discovered the truth in Eisenhower's words. Planning is indispensable. It prevents important tasks from falling through the cracks. It keeps us on track. It allows us to reflect on the past (and seek improvement) and look ahead toward the future.

But if we adhere too closely to our plans, we do not allow for spontaneity. We may miss an important life-moment because we are too engrossed in daily tasks. If we adhere to the plan but fail to notice subtle changes around us, we are unable to make necessary adaptations. Our plans are then rendered useless.

I cling to my planner because it provides me comfort. I live much of my life in varying degrees of inadequacy. Planners give me a sense of control. I may not be good at much, but at least I can adhere to a schedule.

While I don't think I need to relinquish my bullet journal, I do need to release my grip. Planning helps me identify priorities and get things done, but I don't want to miss unexpected divine appointments.

Many are the plans in the mind of man,
but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.
Proverbs 19:21 (ESV)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails