Monday, October 23, 2017

Day 23: Affirmations to combat Impostor Syndrome


You don't have to see the whole staircase,
just take the first step.
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

But what if ... ?!

Those are always the first words out of my mouth when faced with any decision.

Several years ago I proclaimed I hated the word adventure. When I think of that word, I conjure up images of Peter Pan and his death-defying encounters with crocodiles and Captain Hook. Adventure symbolizes risks I am not willing to take.

But the real definition of adventure is to take part in exciting or unusual experiences. I like fun experiences - especially if they involve travel.

In 2011 I embarked on a two-week solo trip to Paris. This was my dream since elementary school. I rented an apartment in the Montmartre area and I sought to experience life as a Parisian. I went to the museums, ate in outdoor cafes, and visited the Sancerre region on a wine tasting tour.

I was surprised when many commented they were not brave enough to travel on their own.

Brave?! I did not consider myself brave. I considered myself blessed.

But I did ask several "what if" questions along the way.
  • What if I can't lift my suitcase off the conveyor belt?
  • What if I can't find a taxi at the airport?
  • What if the taxi takes me on a winding tour of the city because he suspects I am an ignorant American?
  • What if the apartment is not as it is pictured on Homeaway?
  • What if it is in a sketchy part of town?
  • What if I can't buy a Metro ticket?
  • What if I can't figure out the Metro system?
  • What if ... What if ... What if ... 
The risk, it turns out, was worth the uncertainty.

Even though I did not see the full picture before boarding the plane - even though every question was not fully answered - I knew the step was worth the risk. For if I chose to stay home, I would have denied myself a dream-come-true experience.

I want to live this second half of life - however many years I have left - with abandon. I don't want fear of the unknown to limit my life experiences. 

I believe the Lord has many adventures planned for my life, He only asks I take that first step... and trust Him with the rest.

The steps of a man are established by the Lord,
when he delights in his own way.
Psalm 37:23 (ESV)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails