Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Day 18: Affirmations to combat Impostor Syndrome


Either we let self-doubt and feelings of inadequacy 
prevent us from realizing our potential,
or embrace the fact that when we turn our attention
away from ourselves, our potential is limitless.
~ Christopher Reeve

Those of us who suffer from low self-esteem rarely boast of our accomplishments. Instead, we discount them, fearing we aren't good enough. We constantly compare our efforts with others (and fall short) and we are overly concerned about their opinions (which we imagine are derogatory and critical). Isn't it ironic?! I desperately try to avoid pride when in fact I am constantly self-absorbed. 

The above quote offers helpful advice to overcome this affliction: turn attention away from yourself. This is kinder, gentler way of rephrasing the popular: get over yourself. The latter assumes haughtiness, over-confidence, and pride - the antithesis of who I am. What I internalize when offered this suggestion is: even my not-good-enough isn't good enough.

Reeves' quote does not put me down but rather encourages a shift in my focus. Instead of judging my efforts and striving for unattainable perfection, I should focus on the recipients and how they will be blessed. Rather than emphasize the end-result, I should enjoy the process. In other words, simply do my best and let God take care of the rest.

No one said life would be easy. In fact, we are promised many trials and heartaches. Impostor Syndrome is the thorn in my side, the obstacle I must overcome. Delilah's voices are sometimes unrelenting and I often feel like a weary-worn soldier in a losing battle. But God is on my side and I will not give up.

... let us run with endurance 
the race set before us
Hebrews 12:1b (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails