Monday, October 16, 2017

Day 16: Affirmations to combat Impostor Syndrome


It's not what you are that holds you back,
It's what you think you are not.
~ Denis Waitley

Today marks the half-way point in this blog challenge. I'm starting to repeat myself - and I don't think that's necessary.

What IS necessary is the repetition of positive affirmation to combat negative self-talk. I hope to maintain that habit for the rest of my days.

In this post, I will explain how the series began. And perhaps remaining posts will focus more on the quotes rather than my redundant life story.

In August I began to collect scripture verses pertaining to God's direction in my life. I am a planner. I love structure and routine. I feel comfortable knowing what to expect over the next seven days (ten days is even better). BUT... I don't want to adhere to such rigid plans that I miss out on divine appointments. These verses helped me maintain that perspective.

The following week I researched scripture that addressed low self-esteem and self-deprecation. This was a result of reading Matthew 23:12 (MSG): If you are content to simply be yourself, your life will count for plenty. Other versions of the Bible translate this as being humble. I had no idea true humility meant self-acceptance. I thought humility was denying self.

I then wondered what other Biblical commands I misunderstood. I researched those and wrote them down. I amassed quite a collection of Scripture cards. My plan was to carry these with me at all times. When Delilah's voice attacked, I would counter her criticism with Truth.

In mid-September, I learned of the Write 31 Days blogging challenge. I wanted to participate, but I wasn't sure of the topic. Did I have enough to say about Impostor Syndrome? I decided to count my scripture cards. I had exactly 31 cards. This was a sign... not a coincidence.

That weekend I began to research modern-day quotes that pertained to self-acceptance. I copied them onto index cards as well. After an exhaustive search, I counted them. Not surprisingly, I had exactly 31 cards. This was no longer just a topic I wanted to pursue ... I had an obligation to do so.

The next step was to match quotes with scripture, for I believe God speaks truth through a variety of mediums. And my goal is to annihilate Delilah with the truth.

These quotes are meaningful. These quotes are powerful weapons and they provide a soothing balm to bloody battle injuries.

I hope these quotes help others silence the harsh lies of their inner critics. I hope you realize you are worthy - you are valuable - and you are loved.

* * * A note about today's scripture verse.

I learned at an early age that pride is a deadly sin. Tooting my own horn is arrogant and prideful. But I always assumed that extended to others praising my efforts. I thought any recognition for personal accomplishment fostered pride and therefore condemned me to hell.

This verse counters that thought. No, we shouldn't boast, but we can graciously accept the compliments of others.

Delilah's voice attempts to drown out sincere sentiments with her deprecating lies. But I'm learning to acknowledge the recognition with a simple thank you.

Let someone else praise you,
and not your own mouth.
Proverbs 27:2 (NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails