Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Day 24: Affirmations to combat Impostor Syndrome


I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection.
Excellence I can reach for; perfection is God's business
~ Michael J Fox

I remember watching Michael J. Fox on Family Ties. He was cute. He was funny. But philosophical?!

For as long as I can remember, I've considered excellence and perfection synonymous. I strive for excellence but wince if I fall short of perfection.

Unfortunately, I applied these same strict standards to anyone who crossed my path: spouse, children, students, friends.

But here is the objective definition of both words...

Excel: to do something extremely well

Perfect: without flaw

In other words... we should strive to do our best without concern for perfection. They are not synonymous. And excellence is the more worthy pursuit.

The connection between the above quote and the scripture verse below is profound.

I strive for excellence - and yet I also strive for humility. Pride goeth before a fall...

But scripture does not say we should consider ourselves insignificant. Scripture does not say we should discount our accomplishments. Scripture does not say we should constantly belittle ourselves.

No, scripture says we should not consider ourselves more significant than others. We are still significant. We still matter.

It is time to eliminate perfect from my vocabulary and be content with personal best. And when I'm having an off day, be content with simply "good enough"

Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit,
but in humility count others more significant than yourself
Philippians 2:3 (ESV)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails