Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Day 3: Affirmations to combat Impostor Syndrome


Perfectionism is not the quest for the best.
It is the pursuit of the worst in ourselves, 
the part that tells us that nothing we do is good enough.
~ Julia Cameron

Isn't that ironic?!

We think the pursuit of perfection is the pursuit of the best. We are convinced it is a noble quest. But in reality, we are only pursuing the worst.

A perfectionist is never content. We nitpick our efforts. We don't acknowledge what we do well, but rather we scrutinize how we can improve.

We are always comparing ourselves to others - and falling short. Perfectionism breeds envy and jealousy. And if perchance we discover we might be "better than..." then perfectionism breeds judgment and pride.

Perfectionism cultivates negative self-talk, which sends us further into a downward spiral.
We are what we think (Buddha)
As a man thinketh in his heart, so he becomes (Proverbs 23:7)

If I think I am a fraud... If I think I am a failure... If I think I am worthless... Then I believe the lies.

This is not only harmful to self - this is harmful to those around me. How has my negative self-image affected my children? Do they think this is the way to live the Christian life? Do they believe"denying self" means rejecting self?

What a tragedy!

At this point, it is time I ask, What benefit is there to perfectionism? And if there is no benefit, why do I continue in this fruitless pursuit?

If we are what we think, then I need to adjust my thinking. I must drown Delilah's harsh criticism with positive edification. Delilah's lies must be replaced with truth.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths,
but only what is helpful for building others up according
to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen
Ephesians 4:29 (NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails