Saturday, January 23, 2010

Weekend Cooking: National Pie Day!

As I sit here typing the post and looking out the window I realize that it is the first time in weeks - literally before Christmas, that there is no snow on the ground! We have actually been above freezing for most of the week and the nearly one foot of snow has finally melted. Of course, this means that my family room will now be a muddy mess as dogs go in and out the back door, but that is a small price to pay for a bit of warm weather. Hopefully the forecast of falling temps and more snow tomorrow are inaccurate!

I wasn't quite sure what to write today (I still have 30 more pages to read in The Swan Thieves, and the review for A Moveable Feast is not yet complete) and then I read on Lorraine Bartlett's blog, Dazed and Confused, that today is National Pie Day! Who knew?! I LOVE pie! Given a choice of desserts, I would choose pie over cake, ice cream, and most cookies. I love fruit pies (apple and peach are my favorites, but blueberry is a close runner up); custard pies (coconut and chess pies are favorites); holiday pies (pecan and pumpkin - although mincemeat is quite delicious); well...you get the idea.

Unfortunately, I have yet to master the perfect pie crust and (cringe) I tend to buy the ready-made crusts in the refrigerated section. Someday, however, I will take the time to tackle that challenge. It is tough job, but I am willing to make the sacrifice. I will persevere and make as many pies as I need to in order to complete the mission.

In the spirit of Beth Fish Reads weekly meme, Weekend Cooking, I thought I would post my two favorite pie recipes, Southern Living's Apple Pie and my mom's traditional Poor Man's Pecan Pie, but then I realized I already wrote those recipes for the Fall Festival Recipe Exchange. So I thought if you are interested, you can view those recipes here, or perhaps you have your own favorite pie recipe that you would like to share in honor of this auspicious occasion.


10 comments:

  1. You know, I'm a horrible pie crust maker too. I think I work the dough too much. I buy the box mixes! And this from a person who even makes her own granola! Oh well, we can't be good at everything.

    My favorite pies are lemon meringue and sour cherry. Yummm. But I'm with you, I'll pick a fruit pie over almost anything (except creme brulee).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll make a pie for tomorrow's dessert to celebrate! Maybe pumpkin, since it's my father's favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to only make pies with filo pastry on top, as I am on a permanent diet! These pies sound lovely though.

    Glad to hear your snow is on the way out. I started to get bored with ours after a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can make pie dough but rarely do since we don't eat the pie after I make it. I think most people overwork the dough. Yay for the snow being gone! Thankfully we haven't seen any snow yet this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your apple pie recipe looks very good. Apple pie is one I like to make but lemon meringue is the one I love to eat.

    I used to make my own pie crusts, back in the "olden days", using lard/shortening and a little vinegar. (I'll post that recipe one of these days.) I guess I've just gotten lazy, but I tell myself that Pillsbury makes really good pie crusts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the recipe off the vegetable Shortening box. It always turns out .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a pie freak! so thanks for sharing a couple new recipes. Personally, I think the filling is just an excuse to get to eat pie crust - and I have a wonderful recipe that I got from my mom that works every time. It has egg in it which is unusual, but must be the magic thing. I would be glad to share if you want to give it a try. The recipe makes 4 crusts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am such a poor cook, even making a pie with pre-prepared crust would be a massive challenge for me!

    Glad to hear the snow is melting, seems so strange to me coming from Sydney Australia where it never even gets close to freezing even in winter and yesterday here is was 43C (109F?). I stayed inside with the air-con on for most of the day - maybe I should have been practising my pie making skills?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I happen to like the frozen pie crusts... or any pie crust, actually!

    Bill ;-)

    Hope you'll check out my book giveaway:
    http://drbillsbookbazaar.blogspot.com/2010/01/book-giveaway-plum-pudding-murder.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've been awarded Molly!
    http://flyhigh-by-learnonline.blogspot.com/2010/01/saturday-sunday-posting-what-makes-you.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails