Monday, October 12, 2009

Fall Festival Recipe Exchange

God bless Amy! I am not sure how she finds the energy, much less the creativity, to come up with all these blogger community activities, but on the heels of Book Blogger Appreciate Week she has now organized a Fall Recipe Exchange for all those autumn enthusiasts who appreciate cool weather, warm colors, and spicy aromas wafting from the kitchen.

I must admit that it was mighty hard to get up this morning and face another week at work. I decided to begin the day (as I usually do) with a cup of coffee and reading a few blog entries. My melancholy spirits were immediately lifted when I read Booking Mama's post for this spectacular online event. I immediately ran to my recipe box and began this post.

While I enjoy a good pot of chili, or a hot bowl of chowder, or a slow roasted chicken for a cool evening meal, my real culinary love is desserts (that is why I need to get started on the 100 mile fitness challenge!!). I could post several recipes, but I think I will limit my post to three: Apple Pie, Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Cake, and Poor Man's Pecan Pie.

If you would like to take part in this virtual recipe exchange, visit the original post here and then you can link your recipe post here.

Apple Pie (from Southern Living Magazine circa 2004?)
  • approx 9 apples - peeled, cored, sliced (I use Honey Crisp apples)
  • 3/4 C brown sugar
  • 1/2 C white sugar
  • 1/2 C flour
  • 1/4 C butter
  • 2 pie crusts
  1. Prepare the apples and sprinkle with lemon juice to keep from browning.
  2. Melt butter in a large saucepan and saute the apples about 10 minutes.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients and cook until thick.
  4. Let cool.
  5. Place apples in deep dish pie crust and top with 2nd crust.
  6. Brush with egg wash (if desired) and cut small slits in top crusts (steam vents)
  7. Bake at 425 degrees for about 40 minutes.

Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Cake (courtesy Paula Dean, as seen on Rachel Ray)

For the Cake:
  • 1 18.25-ounce box yellow cake mix
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
  1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cake mix, egg and butter, and mix well.
  2. Pour into the bottom of prepared 9x13 pan and set aside.
For the Filling:
  • 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
  • 15 ounce can pumpkin pie filling
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 16-ounce box confectioners’ sugar
  • 1/2 C melted butter
  1. In the mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth
  2. Add pumpkin pie filling, eggs and vanilla.
  3. Dump in confectioner’s sugar and beat well.
  4. Reduce speed of mixer and slowly pour in butter. Mix well.
  5. Pour filling on top of cake mixture and spread evenly.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 40-50 minutes (You want the center to be a little gooey; so don’t bake past that point!).

Poor Man's Pecan Pie (courtesy mom - I have no idea where she originally found the recipe)
  • 2 large eggs - beaten
  • 1 C white sugar
  • 1 C dark corn syrup
  • 1/2 C melted butter
  • 1.25 C quick cooking oats
  • pie crust
  1. Beat eggs in large bowl.
  2. Beat in sugar and dark corn syrup
  3. Slowly beat in the melted butter
  4. Stir in quick cooking oats until all are coated
  5. Pour into prepared pie crust
  6. Bake at 350 degrees approximately 35 - 40 minutes

22 comments:

  1. Ooooo! Desserts! Nothing says fall like pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pecan pie. That recipe looks good and easy. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *squeal* You picked three EXCELLENT looking desserts! I looooove Apple Pie. And Pecan Pie. I can't say I've ever had Pumpkin Cake, but I'm open to the experience. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pumpkin cake sounds SO good! Thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No food is more autumnal to me than apple pie--oh, the memories!
    Thanks, Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A triple whammy! Nothing says fall like pies and anything with pumpkin in it. This is such a good idea. Amy is a goddess!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! That ooey-gooey cake got my attention (I like those that improve on a box cake mix), and Poor Man's Pecan Pie sounds interesting. Some of the best recipes are those that are handed down!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, that ooey-gooey cake sounds delicous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I posted a link to the ooey-gooey cake too. Just the name itself makes it sound so appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bookmarking! Must jot down that Paula Deen recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. those sound great. nothing beats apple pie and the pumpkin cake looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the yummy recipes. The fake pecan pie is really interesting. I'd have to taste it to believe it. I just will have to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These all sound amazing, Molly! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. More delicious recipes. I need to get cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmmm, desert! My favorite part of the meal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I live by the motto -- life is short; eat dessert first!

    Thanks for these yummy-sounding recipes, especially the pecan pie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are single-handedly trying to sabotage my weight loss program, aren't you?!

    I am going to try your apple pies for Thanksgiving this year. I've never tried partially cooking the apples first.

    And that pumpkin cake sounds lethal, but how can anyone resist when you call it "ooey gooey" and add cream cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wait, so there's no pecans in the Poor Man's Pecan Pie? Weird.

    Anyways, I gave you an award! http://bibliofreakblog.com/memes/time-awards/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I will definitely have to do this one! Thank you for posting about it. And your recipes look so good - I think I'm going to ask Ward to give the ooey-gooey pumpkin pie a try, for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummy!!! I've only attempted pecan pie once. I was a college freshman and was borrowing my friends' kitchen. The pie overflowed and they (rightly) made me clean it out. Ick. I haven't attempted it since even though it's my favorite pie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails