Saturday, October 24, 2009

Read-athon: 1st Post

It is finally here and I am SO excited! I set my alarm this morning for 6:00 am (one hour before my official start time) so that I could have my mandatory 2 cups of coffee before attempting to read. I am now one hour into the read-athon and thoroughly enjoying The Anthologist (I am currently on page 179 --- but I started the book on Thursday night). I am now taking a break for my morning Grape Nuts breakfast, and thought I would participate in the welcome meme:

Where are you reading from today? I am reading in "my cozy book nook" in Kansas City.

3 facts about me: I have been married for 27 years --- I have 3 children (ages 23 - nearly 21 - and 16) and I have 3 adorable yellow labs.

How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours? Well, I consider all my TBR books on the nook's shelves to be at my disposal this weekend --- so maybe 150??

Do you have any goals for the read-athon? Just to have fun doing my most favorite activity for the entire weekend. I plan to read quite a bit over the 48 hour time period - but certainly not staying up for 24 hours straight (I am too old).

If you are a veteran read-athoner, do you have any advice for those participating for the first time? Well, I have only participated in one other read-athon, so I would hardly consider myself a veteran. However, the one thing that I learned last spring was to NOT compare myself to others. I am not a fast reader - nor do I aspire to be. I enjoy savoring each and every word. My advice is to make this an enjoyable experience for YOU --- whatever that means :)

Well, I am off to try to finish The Anthologist before the next post (which, by the way is a VERY excellent book and one that I know I will want to add to my personal library for future reference).

11 comments:

  1. To have fun is a GREAT goal. Can't wait to see what the day brings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I applaud you for setting the alarm even earlier than the start time of the read-a-thon. Out here in Los Angeles, we started at 5, and there was no way I was getting up at 4! I hope you have a ton of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck today, Molly. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're all set and ready to go. Hope you have a great day and happy reading. I'll be cheering you on from FL! Even Pudgy is saying, Go Molly, go Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Traditional read-a-thon blessing:

    May the bookshelf be there to greet you.
    May all the books appeal.
    May the fridge be full of tasty snacks;
    the words fall soft upon your eyes and until the read-a-thon ends,
    may you always hold a book in the palm of your hand.

    Good luck today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning Molly

    My name is Louise, and I am from Copenhagen, Denmark. This is my first visit to your blog, and I am already looking forward to come back when the whole Read-a-Thon busyness has come down ;-) I have seen you before commenting on much of the same blogs I comment on, and now I am happy that I have finally gone to check out your fab blog.

    The Read-a-Thon began for me at 2 PM, since 5 AM Pacific Time means 2 PM Copenhagen Time ;) I hope to be able to hang around for many more hours... I am not reading though, but having a lot of fun working my way through a lot of great blogs to cheer. GO! GO! GO!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol on the 150! That's quite the pile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Molly! You are so dedicated. I set my alarm but ended up getting out of bed about 30 minutes late--still, for a Saturday morning, that was good for me. I was NOT going to get up at 5 am to read, which was my official start time.
    Having fun is my goal too--
    *smiles*
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Getting up early so you'd be wide awake when the read-a-thon started was a good idea, Molly! It sounds like you are off to a great start! Good luck and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait- Kansas City? The map has you in Montana! So my comment on your other post will make NO SENSE. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep up the great work!

    LiyanaLand!
    http://liveandbreathesmexily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails