Saturday, October 24, 2009

Read-athon: 3rd Post

Read-athon Stats:
  • Total reading time: 2 hours
  • Total pages read: 100 pages (30 pages since last posting)
  • Total books read: 2 (both started prior to the Read-athon
I just finished Dean Koontz's book, A Big Little Life. I have never read any this author's works before, but I am very anxious to start reading him now. Not only is this book a loving tribute to Trixie, the Koontz's faithful, compassionate, and intelligent Golden Retriever, but this book also gave me insight into this talented author. I believe you can learn a lot about a person's character through their relationship with their pets, and Dean Koontz is an amazing man of character.

While I plan to write a more in-depth review at another time, let me leave you with just one of the many memorable quotes from this book:
No matter how close we are are to another person, few human relationships are as free from strife, disagreement, and frustration as is the relationship you have with a good dog. Few human beings give of themselves to another as a dog gives of itself. I also suspect that we cherish dogs because their unblemished souls make us wish - consciously or unconsciously - that we were as innocent as they are, and make us yearn for a place where innocence is universal and where the meanness, the betrayals, and the cruelties of this world are unknown. (page 264)
I am not sure which book I will begin for the next hour of the read-athon. I think I will do some skimming and see which one entices to me to read more.


  1. Hope all is going well now that we are into the 5th hour of the Read-a-Thon :) Cheering from Copenhagen, Denmark...

  2. I love Dean Koontz. I remember reading my first book by him when I was 14 on a plane coming back from Italy. I had finished my own book and my mom gave me hers to read. It was called Lightening. I recommend you check it out!

  3. I've never read any of Dean Koontz's books. Maybe I should try one!

  4. I'm glad you enjoyed your read.

  5. ‘Thoners like chocolate
    ‘Thoners like tea
    But I’m not sure
    If they like shrimp louie

  6. Have not read a Dean Koontz book in a couple of years now. Used to read him all the time. Will check this one out. =)

  7. Molly Molly bo Bolly Banana Fanna Fo Folly Me My Mo...Molly. Molly. :)

    2 books down is awesome!

  8. Molly-thanks so much-good luck with the reading.

  9. My mother-in-law is a Dean Koontz reader. Maybe one of these days I'll have to get in on the action.

  10. You are doing great. I got a little thrown off schedule this am, but I’m back on track now. Keep up the good work!

    I will surely need a nap a bit later unless, I walk around the house constantly until I fall over from exhaustion...LOL

  11. Happy reading!



Related Posts with Thumbnails