Thursday, January 14, 2010

Library Loot: 01.14.10

Library Loot is hosted by Eve from A Striped Armchair and Marg of Reading Adventures and they ask all of us to share the books we have recently brought home from the library.

Now true to my form, I have brought home far more books than I can ever hope to read in the short three week time period I am allotted. However, I am just tickled pink at the loot I managed to snag today. Hopefully I will find the time to fully read some of them, and the others I will definitely skim to see if it is a book that I would like to pick up another time.

  • Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb. Obviously I have been waiting a long time for this one and now that Christmas is over, it is finally my turn (the story of my life). Anyway, I will probably skim through this one to see if it is a book that I would like to reserve next holiday season.
  • Possession by A. S. Byatt. I was so enamoured with Mr. Byatt's writing in The Children's Book (see my review here), that I immediately requested this book from the library. It sounds like a storyline that I might enjoy - although I am a little nervous that it might have too much romance for my taste.
  • Mr. Dixon Disappears by Ian Sansom. This is the second book in the Missing Book series (my review of the first book can be found here). I anticipate that this will be another quick, fun read, so I am hopeful to finish this one before the due date.
  • Home Repair by Liz Rosenberg. Caite at A Lovely Shore Breeze reviewed the book this week and I was very much intrigued.
  • Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - graphic novel adaptation by Tim Hamilton. Susan of You Can Never Have Too Many Books has inspired me to try graphic novels, and since my 9th graders will be starting this book in the next week, I thought I might cut my teeth on this genre with this familiar - and favorite - story.
  • The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer. I honestly do not remember where I saw this book recommended - but I have been waiting for it for about two months now. I think I was originally interested in it when I was teaching Chaucer (back in October), so I am thinking I will probably skim this and perhaps check it out to fully read at the beginning of the 2010/2011 school year.
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker. I remember reading such fond reviews of this book all over the bloggosphere last summer, but I did not have the opportunity to read it. I was reminded again of it the other day and decided to pick it up. This was the one book that I planned to read in its entirety until....
  • The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova. OH MY GOODNESS --- It was my lucky day! I am sure if I placed a hold for this book I would be waiting 3 months at least --- but today there was a copy available for a limited time period (2 weeks) in the new release area. I am so very anxious to begin reading reading this novel. Now all I have to do is figure out how to count it for the Mystery Read-thon this weekend.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, I've been wanting to read the Wally Lamb book!

    Good idea to make a list for library requests!

    My post is here:

    http://laurelrainsnow.wordpress.com/2010/01/14/library-loot/

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Molly...That is a lot of great loot! I loved Little Giant of Aberdeen County! enjoy all your loot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading Little Giant right now! I really enjoyed The Swan Thieves and hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a huge stack! I'm listening to The Children's Book now on audio. I have the hardcover copy on reserve. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I usually check out way more than I can read but there's something about having a great stack of books physically near you that feels so good! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great list of books!
    I would like to present you with the Honest Scrap Award!
    http://bookywooks.blogspot.com/2010/01/honest-scrap-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read Bradbury's book but not as a graphic novel. How's the adaptation? My post is here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some fabulous books there. I have heard great things about The Swan Thieves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one seriously awesome stack of books! I was probably the only person on earth that didn't love Little Giant (review is up today actually) but I think its me. I am terribly excited about The Swan Thieves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fahrenheit 451 is one of my favourite books of all times. I really do hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am really glad to see you are a participate in this meme. I'll be joining next week and continue on throughout 2010. I wanted to last year, but had too many review books. This year, things are different. :) My reading time is my own!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you have a lot of books there! Have fun with all the great reads!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good pile of books! There are several I want to read in your pile! I am hoping to get the Mortimer book soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Molly,

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend...read, sleep, drink wine (if you like to do so)...overall ENJOY! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You will enjoy Wally's book! I brought home The Swan Thieves too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails