Sunday, January 31, 2010

TSS - 01.31.10

The last day of January, 2010. Oh my....where does the time go?!

Well, we started the year with winter storms, and we ended the month the same way. Although it never snowed a great deal at any point in time this past Friday, it did snow most of the day which resulted in about an inch of the fluffy white stuff on the ground. While some may be tiring of this winter weather, I love the fact that I can curl up in my nook and read.....which is exactly how I spent most of the day yesterday.

As you recall, I have been bringing home some serious stacks of books from the local library, as mentioned here and here. I knew there was no way that I could fully read all of them, but I was hoping to at least skim through them all and decide which ones I wanted to read immediately, and which ones could perhaps wait until another time. Well, that is what snowy Saturdays are made for!

I must say I did indeed hit the motherload! I was able to read the first 20 or so pages of all these books and the vast majority of them I desired to read on and finish in one sitting (I used great will-power, don't you think?) Each of these books resonate with me in a different way, and yet all of them are vying for the top of the TBR pile.
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Larsson Stieg. I can't tell you how many of you highly - and I mean highly - recommended this book. However, I think Kay offered some sage advice: wait and read this book when I have the time to read the entire trilogy! So with that, I have decided to wait until summer to begin this mesmerizing series.
  • American Rust by Philipp Meyer. This has received some wonderful reviews in the bloggosphere, and some have even gone so far as to compare this debut author with John Steinbeck. However, after reading the first 20 or so pages I decided that this is not the book for me for now. The writing style is very fragmented, and while I am sure this is indicative of the subject matter and characters' way of thinking/speaking - I am truly not in the mood to read a depressing, disjointed tale. I will add this to the TBR list and perhaps comes back to it at another point in time.
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker. I am already enthralled with Truly and I simply must discover the true story behind Dr. Robert Morgan (and why is he never referred to in first name only?) I love the author's writing style: so descriptive using very unusual metaphors that transmits emotion as well as accurate detail.
  • Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler. I have not read this author before, but I can understand why she is popular. I was instantly drawn into this novel, mostly because I could totally relate to Liam, the main character, who at the age of 61 has been "forced" to retire from teaching. But more than that, the author's easy writing style has gently carried me along in this narrative. I am anxious to discover what truly happened to Liam and what he has blocked out of his memory; I already care deeply about this man's future.
  • Brooklyn by Colm Toibin. Again, after only reading two short chapters I am very much involved in the lives of these three women and the caring relationship they share with one another. I am also wondering what role Mrs. Kelly plays in their lives, because right now she is not a woman that I trust with a ten foot pole. I must admit that I had a personal interest in this story as I used to live in New York City. I think once a Yankee, always a Yankee.
  • Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin. Ok - so many of you ranted and raved about this book that I truthfully had my doubts that it could live up to the hype. Well, I am eating my words now. It is fantastic! I really know nothing about Alice in Wonderland nor its author, Lewis Carroll, but I am totally engrossed in this historical fiction narrative of the "real Alice." I expect that this will be the first book that finish.
  • The Motion of the Ocean by Jana Cawrse Esarey. This would be the surprise book of the stack. I absolutely LOVE her writing style. She is witty, funny, poignant, and descriptive. She uses a bit more colorful language than perhaps I am accustomed to....but that doesn't matter. I care deeply about her story - and I know that if it gets too serious, she will be sure to throw in enough humor to keep me from becoming too melancholy. This is probably the second book that I will finish as I feel it is the perfect book for me at this point in my life.
  • Fablehaven by Brandon Mull. I discovered this series while searching for the Percy Jackson series online. Five years ago I would not be caught dead with a fantasy novel in my hand. It isn't that I have anything "against" them, but I just don't "get" them. At that time I forced myself to read The Hobbit as a compromise activity with my British literature class, and that has warmed me up to the genre, just a bit. I am currently listening to the Harry Potter series and totally enjoying that experience. I know that I will come back to the Fablehaven books soon and read the series as I found the opening chapter very well written and captivating. I feel that I should read the Percy Jackson series first, however, since so many of my students have told me that it is "amazing" Fablehaven is definitely high on the TBR list!
  • Mr. Dixon Disappears by Ian Sansom. After reading the first page (and perhaps that is too generous....the first paragraph), I decided that I must add this book to my personal library collection. I will gladly return this copy to the library for someone else to discover, and I will soon read the series in its entirety -- chuckling as I go.
Hopefully I can continue this reading trend today.

I hope you have had a relaxing weekend, no matter the weather, and have found some time to pursue literary adventures of your own.


27 comments:

  1. My secret santa sent me the Dragon Tattoo book! Will read it sometime soon!

    Here is my Sunday Salon post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just hate that, when you get a good stack from the library and don't have time to read them all? I LOVED Little Giant of Aberdeen County, Noah's Compass and thought that Brooklyn was pretty good as well. enjoy your books :0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great list of books! There are many on that I want to read as well. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a great stack of books there. I hate returning books to the library unread -- but it happens to me all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really hit the jackpot at the library! Happy reading. Hope you'll visit my Sunday Salon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I read your Library Posts I am sooooo jealous! Our public library just does not measure up. I have been several times looking for books mentioned on blog posts that got my attention and they never have any of them, not even to reserve. I think the last time they bought a book was 1985. And don't even get me started on their children's section! Luckily the school library is excellent so my kids can get great books there, but they can only get one at a time which frustrates my very avid readers. So, enjoy your bounty!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow, girl, you did hit the jackpot! I can completely understand why you are waiting for the third book in the Larssen trilogy before starting. I'm losing my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great stack! I've been wanting to read Brooklyn for a while now. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm one of the (seemingly few) bloggers who didn't like American Rust. Maybe it was just too depressing at the time, but I really didn't enjoy it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I would ever get all these books at my library - all the current titles seem to be on a long hold.

    Anyway - you have a great stack there - enjoy! I have had Brooklyn on my list for a long time - I look forward to hearing what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent list of books! I have quite a few of them on my to buy list and I'll probably be adding the others ones to the list as well. Fablehaven is pretty high up on my list right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find I have to control myself at the library. I've been going to the regular monthly book sales they have and walking away with far too many books. My TBR stack grows and grows.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I'm faced with a stack of great books like yours, it's hard to decided which to read first! I hate having to return some unread, but it usually happens....

    ReplyDelete
  14. You were very good only to read the first twenty pages. I just love picking up such a big haul of books from the library. Enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow looks like you have a great and prolific local library! Such great reads - perfect for snowy days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, my, what a stack! I've read Alice I Have Been, and Noah's Compass in on my stack for this week.

    American Rust sounds fabulous!

    My salon:

    http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com/2010/01/sunday-salon_31.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Molly, I have an award for you here:

    http://weboftyranny.blogspot.com/2010/01/award.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. A day reading sounds so nice! I had hoped for that yesterday while the installation person was here working, but I found what he was doing so fascinating (I'm weird that way). Plus he was good company. The installation took six hours. Ugh. So glad it's over.

    Enjoy your reading today, Molly. I enjoyed reading your initial impressions of your current TBR stack. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy smokes--you read one paragraph and decided you need to buy the book? That's some writing--I'm going to have to look into this one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Molly, it sounds like you do have a great group of books to choose from there. I think you'll be glad to wait on the Stieg Larsson books. And, Sandy, I know you are losing your mind. I couldn't stand it and ordered the 3rd book from Book Depository. It's being passed around my mystery book group as we speak. :-)

    I have Alice I Have Been and the Little Giant book here to read. Glad to hear your early reactions to them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like your technique for previewing a book before reading it. Do you ever use that feature on your Kindle? You can download the first chapter to get a feel for a book.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, you got some great books! We had a little bit of snow here Saturday, but I missed it since I headed south on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never had that kind of luck with getting current books from the library, which is one reason I don't really use it :-). Also, those books usually have to be returned sooner to stay in circulation, and I can't commit to reading anything that quickly any more!

    I'm reading American Rust right now, and it's clicking with me, although you have a valid point about the style. So far, I'd say that I hope you do decide to go back to it.

    But a couple of your other books are either on my wishlist or TBR stacks. I'm looking forward to getting to Alice I Have Been myself.

    Have a great week, Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You did get an amazing stack of books! I loved Motion of the Ocean. I also have heard great things about the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo but haven't read it yet. I'll have to take a look at Fablehaven too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You should check out the trailer for the final book in the series, which releases March 23:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYhSaHkrE8A

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails