Monday, January 4, 2010

Back in the Saddle again....

Well, the holiday season is officially over! I woke up at 5:30AM --- attended the professional development day at school --- and started the Game On Diet. If that wasn't enough of a wake-up call to reality, all I had to do was take a step outside and have the 5 degree weather slap me in the face. The temperature isn't suppose to reach the double digits all week --- the high Friday is supposed to be 0 (that is ZERO) and they are predicting another snow storm to hit Wednesday/Thursday. Ah....2010 is gonna be a year to remember, I can tell.

On the positive side....it was nice to get back together with co-workers and brainstorm methods to enhance class curriculum. I really love to learn - and professional development days are right up my alley. I came away with some strategies to implement over the course of the semester which will (hopefully) address several different learning styles.

I have had a successful first day with the Game On Diet. I am not really doing this to lose weight (although if that is a fringe benefit I will not complain), but rather to develop more healthy habits to last a lifetime. I drank more water today than I have probably drunk in the past month - and I walked 2 miles (the last time I walked more than from the parking lot to the Walmart doors was about 3 years ago). I watched what I ate and did not cheat, and even enjoyed creating a sauteed spinach - feta cheese - boiled chicken in a whole wheat pita dinner. It was quite tasty and very filling.

I will need to work on lesson plans tomorrow. I truly took a break from school for the entire holiday, and now it is time to get down to business. Books that I will be reading with my classes over the next six weeks include The Hobbit (7th grade); Fahrenheit 451 (9th grade); and Pride and Prejudice (12th grade). At this point I have read each of these books numerous times and taken copious notes, so I am hopeful that I can briefly skim the chapters the night before - and still have time for personal reading goals.

I just started The Housekeeper and the Professor last night and it is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL book. The writing is eloquent and the characters are so well developed that I feel I intimately know each of them. I am about half way through this short novel, and I know that I will be very disappointed when it is finished. I feel certain that this will be one of my top books for 2010 -- and isn't it nice to start the New Year on such a positive literary note.

For those of you who returned to work today, I hope it was a good day --- and for those who are still on vacation, I hope you enjoy each and every minute of it!

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on what appears to be a very successful day Molly. I like the healthy eating part, and have been thinking about going back to WW this week after pigging out for a few months :)

    I LOVED The Housekeeper and the Professor -- so enjoy and continued success with your healthy for life plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great day, Molly! I know I'll be reading The Housekeeper and the Professor sometime this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My your students like/love those books and not just read them because they are assignments!

    I would love the recipe for your creation. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy you were able to ease back into things Molly. Enjoy your book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Molly and Happy New Year! I haven't visited in a while because my life got a little crazy for a month or so but I am back and ready for 2010. I'm glad you had such a successful day today - the world needs more people like you to influence and teach our children! You are truly a gem. You take care, stay warm and good luck with your Game On Diet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great day you had! Now that I am sick at home,I wouldn't mind a little snow around here. After last year's mess we have all kind of missed it this year.
    The Housekeeper and the Professor has got to make it to my house in 2010. I hear nothing but good things about it.
    Hope your Tuesday is just as great a day as today.
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a fabulous day and really jumped back into the New Year.

    We have the cold weather here too and snow has been threatened for later today, so I am hoping for a snow day tomorrow as the kids are already tired after going back to school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish you'd have been my teacher in high school. I didn't get any of that good stuff. Did we reading anything? I can't remember.

    And I know your cold is worse than my cold, but I was in actual physical pain this morning. I could not get warm! Good luck on Game On!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a great first day on the Game On Diet. You'll get used to the water intake in about a week ... trust me. By the end, it will be second nature. And it is a great way to start and (hopefully) keep new habits. Last time I did this, I took away the water part. This time, I hope to keep exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And here I've been whining because it's only getting in the 30's here. Good luck with the diet and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great first day! I love all three books you're discussing with your students and I've been wanting to read Professor for some time now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Housekeeper and The Professor was one of my favorite books last year and a complete fluke that I ended up with it. You will be sad when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved The Housekeeper and the Professor, it was recommended to me by the owner of Portrait of a Bookstore when she heard how much I loved The Elegance of the Hedgehog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails