Saturday, January 30, 2010

Weekend Cooking: Bierrocks


Thank you, Beth Fish, for hosting this fun culinary event! I used to love cooking and had quite a collection of cookbooks to help me with that hobby. But over the past few years I just have not been eager to get into the kitchen after a full day of teaching - and full night of grading looming in the distance. This weekly meme is starting to rekindle that passion, however, and I so look forward to all the recipes and reviews over the weekend.

I had not heard of Bierrocks (I think they are also called Runzas) before moving to the Midwest, however once I read about these tasty morsels I knew I wanted to give them a try. It only took me about ten years to actually go from printed recipe to a tried-and-true favorite.

I like this recipe for a several reasons. First of all, it is very adaptable. You can substitute any kind of cheese (american, cheddar, mozzarella, and swiss are some of our favorites), add seasonings to suit your taste buds (I don't like onions, but enjoy red peppers), and even vary the meat filling (ground turkey or sausage work quite well). Secondly, you can make a large batch of these in one afternoon, freeze them, and they are ready to reheat in the microwave in a matter of seconds (about 50 seconds works well for us). Finally, they are enjoyed by all members of the family: young and old; male and female.

This recipe came from the Once a Month Cooking section of the Menus 4 Moms website. The original recipe included directions for making homemade rolls, but to be honest, that is too much work for me. I use the Rhodes frozen rolls -- usually thawing about 24 rolls for one batch of Bierrocks mixture. I hope your family can enjoy some on one of these frigid winter evenings!

Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds ground beef (I use 93% fat free)
  • 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 18 slices American Cheese (I prefer grated)
  • 1 egg (optional - I do not use it)
  • sesame seeds to garnish (again, I do not use)
Assembly:
  1. Brown beef in a large skillet. Do not drain. Add onion and cabbage and continue cooking until onion is soft. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let cool.
  2. After rolls have thawed, assemble bierrocks one at a time. Roll dough as thin as possible. Place cheese on dough (I use a healthy "pinch" - perhaps 1.5 Tablespoons) and then top with filling (I used approximately 2.5 Tablespoons). Fold over and seal like a turnover (I grab all corners at the top, pinch together, and create a round ball).
  3. Place on baking sheet (I use Parchment paper for easy clean-up), brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional) and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown (my oven runs hot so I cook them about 20-25 minutes).
  4. Serve immediately or cool and freeze.

7 comments:

  1. I never heard of Bierrocks before but you had me at the cheese. Meat, melted cheese, toasty pastry...yummm.

    And I must admit I would probably go the frozen roll route too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, this is new to me too. Yummy. I bet I could make up a batch of pizza dough for these. Love that they can be frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We call them runzas; I'm sure that's because there is a restaurant chain here that is called Runza that introduced these to the public. I make them at home sometimes and also a casserole version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I've never heard of these by either name, but I've got to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't made these in years but I remember how great the combination of fresh bread, meat and cheese felt in my mouth. You've inspired me to make some of these again.Thanks Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of these. They do sound like a wonderful portable sandwich

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pizzeria Secrets can help you how to make pizza like professionals. Learn the secrets of making pizza in your own kitchen better than you can buy at the pizzeria.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails