Monday, December 14, 2009

Read the Book, See the Movie Challenge

Yep - I've done it again. I have signed up for another challenge. But this one is really not my fault. See, C. B. has made the challenge SO doable that I simply couldn't resist. After seeing the Books on Film packages at Barnes and Noble (the titles are also available individually for about $15.00), I just knew that it was "meant to be" that I take part.


The Read the Book, See the Movie Challenge runs from January 1, 2010 - December 31, 2010 and there are 5 different levels in which to participate:
  • Matinee: one book and one movie
  • Double feature: two books/two movies
  • Saturday movie marathon: four books/four movies
  • Film festival: eight books/eight movies
  • Festival jury member: ten books/ten movies
I think I will shoot for the Double Feature. While we do not have to pre-select our choices, I do have a couple of ideas: I re-read Pride and Prejudice every year with my Brit Lit class, but I must confess that I have never seen the Colin Firth version of the film. I would like to do that this year. Also, to piggy back on the Flashback Challenge, I would like to read Little Women and watch the movie version with Susan Sarandon and Wynona Ryder.

While the potential selection of book/movie tie-ins is virtually endless, C. B. does offer some suggestions if you are stumped.

This is a great challenge for me for two reasons. First of all, I live by the adage, "read the book before you see the movie." I try to instill in students that this is SO important as the book allows your own imagination to soar -- whereas the movie is just the director's interpretation of the story. A book not only engages your visual faculties, but your mental faculties as well.

The other reason why this is a good challenge for me is that I very rarely watch movies (in fact, I have usually fall asleep). However, I realize that we are in a media society which is digitally driven. If I hope to truly relate to my students (and my own children for that matter), I need to start watching movies. Perhaps if I take this step of compromise, they will be more willing to pick up a book. Well, a girl can dream, can't she?

8 comments:

  1. Oh Molly, you poor poor deprived one. No Colin Firth in P&P? You must fix that on January 1 just as soon as the challenge starts! Since you have escaped seeing it for so long I am curious as to whether you will love it. I can't imagine you not loving it, but one never knows. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, oh, oh...that Colin Firth version is so amazing. Like Nicole said, you must make this one your first priority. Prepare to swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've thought of doing this one, but I rarely watch movies at home and I wasn't sure there would be enough in the theater next year to complete the challenge. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so far resisted this challenge but it looks so fun! I fell in in love with Colin Firth in that movie. I adored him in it! Fun, fun...
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking about joining this one too as I love movies both at home and in the theater. Even though I already love movies, I agree with your reason for watching more movies. I've noticed that, as I've aged, it helps to have some points of conversation with younger people. I like hearing what they think about a movie I've seen. Occasionally we will have read the same book but most likely it will be movies we have in common.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I joined this one! I even was so bold as to sign up at the Film Festival level. At least 5 of the books I have on my 2010 TBR list have also been made into movies. I'm sure I can find at least 3 more to make my goal. Welcome to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that this can be as big or as small as you want to be. I might just have to do this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Read the book, THEN see the movie. You are a woman after my own heart, Molly! I signed up for this one, too. I think it will be fun--and it's an excuse for popcorn, never a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails