Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I'm a Ding Dong!

Well, now I've gone and done it. I have not only made a private resolution to live a more healthy lifestyle, I have actually joined an "accountability" group to help me achieve it. And this is no ordinary accountability group. Oh no --- when I do it, I do it up big. I am now an official member of the Ding Dongs in the Game On Diet challenge! What this means is that I not only have a group of fellow dieters to help encourage and motivate me to success --- but there are also two other teams --- the Ho Ho's and the Twinkies --- against whom we will be competing for prizes!! Talk about pressure!

I remember catching the last few days of the first Game On diet challenge last summer and wishing that I could be a part. Well, as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for :)

In all honesty, I am thrilled to have this opportunity. I have wanted to begin living a more healthy lifestyle for several years now and just have not had the self-discipline to do so. I do not really aspire to lose weight, but I do want to begin a regular exercise routine that will last the rest of my life --- and I know I need to start eating more healthy (I think I drink on average 4 ounces of water a day -- so that is the first habit that will need to change). I think this fun, competitive atmosphere is just the push I need to force me to do the right thing. And...what better time to start than at the start of a new decade in my life.

Now, this just happens to correspond with another healthy challenge in which I have wanted to participate -- the 100 Mile Fitness Challenge. I vacillated back and forth this fall whether to join or not - and Trish was so kind and encouraging, but the bottom line was... I just wasn't mentally ready. Well, I am now. My goal is walk 30 minutes a day for a minimum of 5 days out of 7 and I plan to listen to the Harry Potter series while I do it (hmmm...wonder if I should join the audio book challenge while I'm at it?!). Talk about multi-task. I figure by the end of March I should be more than half way through the series, and I should have walked about 125 miles. Boy -- I feel better already.

So there you have it -- my normally very private goals for the new year out in the open for all to see. I figure I will either have one awesome post come April 1 -- or I will have to admit a very public defeat.

16 comments:

  1. These are challenges I really should think about joining myself. Good luck! I know you can meet your goals!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be looking forward to your awesome post!

    You can do it, I know you can. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing is better than an audiobook for keeping one walking!

    I'm so glad you're in on the Game On, but too bad you're on a losing team. (Go Twinkies!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to have your company on both of these projects! But I am a woman on a mission, so if I were the rest of you, I would not underestimate the Ho's! Here's to skinny little butts at the end of January!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molly, I think the 100 Mile Challenge is a fabulous idea! What a great way to motivate yourself to walk more and get into shape.
    Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck, Molly. The title of your post made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! I wish you much success!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great combo of challenges!

    Go Ding Dongs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck to you, Molly! It's fun when you can do it with friends--and there's nothing like a friendly competition to add even more motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck in the Game On Diet, I want to participate myself. I think that my friends and I are going to compete against one another. 2010 is going to be all about life style changes for me as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with your challenges. I hope to rejoin the 100 mile one. I need to work off all this Christmas food and drink. I think it is good to share your goals, as we can cheer you on and help you through the tough times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And a wonderful Ding Dong you are! We're so glad to have you join us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best of luck! I know how hard these diets are to stick to. I am going to do the Joshi Holistic diet again starting January 1st because it is one that has really worked for me before.

    And drinking lots of water (and herbal tea) keeps away most of the cravings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm trying the 100 mile fitness challenge too -- and I'll be competing against you. Start upping your water intake now or you'll have severe problems!!!!!!1

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best of luck, Molly! You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to go, Molly! And thanks for signing up for the 100 Mile Fitness Challenge. I swear it isn't nearly as scary as it sound!! :)

    Best wishes to you in all of this!

    Trish

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails