Sunday, April 1, 2018

Boston: A is for Athenaeum

Welcome to my third year participating in the A-Z Blogging Challenge. This year's theme is BOSTON.

Today's letter is A which will showcase Boston's Athenaeum.

Athenaeum, according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, is an institution for the promotion of literary or scientific learning. My personal definition of this iconic landmark is paradise.

According to its website, the Boston Athenaeum is one of the oldest and most distinguished libraries and cultural institutions in the United States. It started at the turn of the nineteenth century and continues to grow and flourish. The Athenaeum's current residence is at 10 1/2 Beacon Avenue, overlooking the historic Granary Burial Ground. It houses five floors of paintings. sculptures, and literature.


The bright red leather doors provide a cheery welcome
to members and visitors alike.

Membership is a mere $315/year ... allowing full access to all
floors and resources. If I lived in Boston, I would make this
reading room my permanent office.

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to visit the 5th Floor -
not typically open to non-members.
However, the Athenaeum does allow visitors ($10.00/visit)
and offers weekly tours for an additional $2.00.
Definitely worth the price!

My docent/guide for the tour ... a true bibliophile!
When was the last time you used a card catalog
(have you ever used a card catalog??)

No library anywhere has more an atmosphere of its own,
that none is more conducive to intellectual aspiration
and spiritual peace.
   ~ Gamaliel Bradford


18 comments:

  1. Hi, Molly! I will be visiting Boston hopefully next year and know I will enjoy your posts. Cheers to a good Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to learning more about PIcasso this month :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! I well remember card catalogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Molly,
    I did not know the definition for Athanaeum. It's now a new favourite word and, like you, would definitely be a favourite place if I lived in Boston. What a gorgeous building devoted to all of the things that matter most to me - reading, art, learning. The peacefulness and beauty of the space is evident in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the photos convey my love of this place, Karen. I rather like the word Athenaeum too :)

      Delete
  4. What an amazing library! Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you would love it here, Deb. Perhaps you can add Boston to your retirement travel plans :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! I've been to Boston many times (lived in Fitchburg growing up) and never heard of or went to the Athenaeum! I'm also a librarian so I guess this means I have to go back "home" to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You absolutely MUST return home and visit this amazing place :)
      Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I'd love to visit the Athenaeum some day. It definitely shows up in the history of libraries and it looks like it's beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it had such a notable reputation outside New England - how exciting!

      Delete
  7. I've never heard of the Boston Athenaeum but it looks like a great place to visit. I haven't seen a card catalog since my college days. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the last time I used a card catalog was for my senior thesis :) My children have no idea what this is.

      Delete
  8. Molly: I remember using a card catalog when I was in college and when I worked in a library in high school. When they built a new library in our city, they phased out the card catalog for the computer version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. College is probably the last time I actually used a card catalog. I must admit... I do love online research now :)

      Delete
  9. I had a membership at the Athenaeum for one year and it was a lovely place to read and study, but I couldn't justify the cost of renewing since it was hard to get there during open hours. Definitely a Boston institution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine the writing I would accomplish if I had access to the Athenaeum on a regular basis. I can see where it might be difficult to take full advantage of membership while maintaining a full-time job.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails