Monday, July 5, 2010

It must be fate....or Divine Intervention

I am so excited - I just had to quickly write and share the news.

Now hold onto your hats, this is nothing earth shattering - but for me it is is little love note from Heaven - a small yet encouraging message that I am on the right track.

As I shared yesterday, I am focusing my pleasure reading this week on books that might help me in my own writing endeavors.  I began reading Luncheon of the Boating Party and have thoroughly enjoyed escaping into the world of Auguste Renoir.  I hope to post a short review of the book - and a detailed accolade of the author - later this week.

While reading the book today I wondered if there were other fictional stories that I might also be interested in browsing (I love research - can you tell?  I need to learn to find the right balance between researching for the story and actually writing the story).  I have already read Dancing for Degas (and have decided that I need to purchase a copy of myself and re-read in close detail), but I wanted to ensure that I wasn't missing something else of equal value.  

As I often do, I used the Amazon feature "others who bought this book also bought"  and did indeed discover a title that I have already put on hold at my local library:  The Judgment of Paris:  The Revolutionary Decade that Gave the World Impressionism by Ross King.  I read a few of the reviews and was immediately attracted to the one written just one month ago by L. Howe Steiger, which opened with:
I picked up King's book in anticipation of the pending show this summer in San Francisco of Impressionist art from Paris's Musee d'Orsay.
Well, my analytic brain immediately went into overdrive.  If the traveling exhibit is in San Francisco, I wonder if it will also appear in other American cities - perhaps closer to Kansas City.  With a quick Google search and about three mouse clicks I discovered that it will appear in at the Frist Center for the Visual Arts in Nashville for three months starting in October!  How fortuitous is that?!  And if that is not enough to confirm my writing endeavors --- the painting that I have chosen as the portal to the other world, Ballet Rehearsal on Stage, will only be shown in Nashville (to see a list of a some of the 100 paintings in this exhibit, click on the Musee d'Orsay logo above).  These paintings that I have poured over in books and longed to see in person are actually going to be a short plane ride from my own home!

I am now even more inspired to continue writing this little piece with the hopes that when I attend this exhibit I can not only appreciate the beauty of the paintings, but I can conduct some primary research as well.  I will be ready to revise my writing and strive to "show" not just "tell" about the artwork.  Hopefully I will know how to look at the painting close enough to convey the visual artwork into vivid word pictures. 

What I thought was only a dream is now going to be a reality.  God is good!

15 comments:

  1. How funny-I just wrote a review of Claude and Camille and a friend suggested this book to me-here you are reviewing it today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, it's a sign! I believe in things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...that is fantastic news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news! You are really on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, you are meant to write this novel! Enjoy the book, and the exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly have a muse working with you Molly. Every reality starts with an idea.. a dream. How exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely divine intervention. I believe that when we are on the right road, things come along to help us on our way. I can't wait to hear more about it.

    YOu will be pleased to know, I have written 1,250 words today of a new story. I shall try and do my new manuscript in the morning and try and finish off my old one in the afternoons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Sounds like things are falling into place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very exciting, Molly. When "things" pop up like this, they do so for a reason and, of course, you must go to the showing. Your excitement comes through in your words and a dream realized is such an amazing thing. I'm smiling for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, you have GOT to go! Now we've got to find out who flies from MCI to BNA....Southwest maybe? They might be the only non-stop....for other airlines, you'd have to connect through Chicago or Dallas or some such nonsense.

    Let me know what you find out about the flights....if United can get you there non-stop, email me and I'll try to get you a pass!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great news! I agree with Sandy that it's a sign.

    ReplyDelete
  12. God is, indeed, good and I'm so happy that He's given you this special treat. Maybe it will help make up a little bit for the Europe trip. Can't wait to hear what you think of the exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is what some would call serendipitous and I would certainly say is divine intervention. Congratulations on getting the sign that you are on the right track. On another note I look forward to seeing the exhibit this summer in SF since it is a short train ride from where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's wonderful. I do believe that when you are doing what you should be doing, things like this happen more often than not!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very exciting, Molly. It was meant to be...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails