Sunday, March 29, 2009

Clean up.....

Oh my goodness....I spent FAR too much time tinkering with my blog today - and I am sure that it is barely noticeable.

I felt that my blog sidebar was getting too crowded - so nearly two hours was spent learning how to adapt the html code to include a right and left sidebar. After doing that - I felt that the blog still looked crowded.....so I decided to investigate the possibility of adding tabs to the header. After another two hours I decided that it was impossible (or at least for me), but I also decided that there is more than one way to skin a cat. SO....I learned how to add a widget function to the header - and decided to use links to separate pages for challenges, blog awards, and blogs that I follow. It is not perfect, but I do think it creates a "less cluttered" luck on the home page.

The header has bothered me since I set it up with the picture of books. I did not like having the writing on top of the picture, but I couldn't figure out how to place the lettering into the empty colored space. Finally, after another 90 minutes or so, I learned html well enough to modify right and left margins for header descriptions. Again, it is not perfect, but I do think it looks nicer than it did before.

Was it worth the more than 5 hours I spent on it? Absolutely not .... but I do feel that I learned more about blog templates, which will probably come in handy again.

I need to properly acknowledge the following websites that provided me with invaluable directions to help me achieve my meager results today:

3 column website

Header: picture to left and title to right

9 comments:

  1. The good news is that you learned a lot! It'll be worth it in the long run.

    Looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new look! I plan on doing 3 columns...EVENTUALLY ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Golly, Miss Molly, I am so impressed with you. I tried getting rounders template to go to three columns and could not get it right for the life of me. I had to go with the minima and then get the three columns. I wish I knew how to get the boxes under the header for links to things like contests, awards, challenges and such but I have to be the most technologically challenged granny out in cyberspace. You did a wonderful job and it all looks terrific. Thanks for your input about the book covers, I found a few more and posted them also. Good discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't have the patience to do all of this but it did end up looking very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the new look! It can take so much time to do little things, can't it? I can get sucked into a project like that and not even realize how much time has gone by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is amazing how much time you can spend doing tiny things - I spent two hours learning how to put a box round some text!

    I agree it is an improvement and everything will be quicker next time you want to change things !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new look is very nice! Thanks for sharing the links. I want to get a 3 column for my scribe blog design and can't find anything to work. I'll have to check your links. How did you add the links at the top go seperate pages?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did this too! I recently redid both my blogs. I found a great cheater site that allows you to get the basic blogger templates but in the three column format. I used the Rounders one. Of course, you have to do a lot of tinkering to get the look you want in the end but it is kind of fun and kind of annoying at the same time. And I must confess, I missed your links the first few times I was here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the new look! Sadly, I know all too well about the the hours slipping away as I work on my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails