Saturday, August 14, 2010

Weekend Cooking: Lemonade Pie

It is still the dog days of summer here in Kansas which means that the heat and humidity suck the energy out of every living thing.  This past week temperatures have hovered around the 100 degree mark, with heat indexes of 110 or above.  I am most grateful for central air conditioning!

Of course in weather like this, who wants to cook?  I tend to have the hubby grill steak (if it is on sale) and chicken on Sunday afternoons, and ensure that we have enough for weekday leftovers. Chicken salad, steak nachos, and a quick vegetable stir fry are menu mainstays.

I do have a sweet tooth, however, but have no desire to heat up the kitchen by turning on the oven.  We tend to eat a lot of ice cream during the month August, but every once in while I like to have something a little different.  That is where this recipe fits the bill:  it is an easy, no-bake pie that is light and refreshing --- the perfect accompaniment for any summer fare.

Lemonade Pie

Ingredients:
  • 6 oz can lemonade concentrate - partially thawed (I like using pink for a nice festive color)
  • 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
  • 4.5 oz cool whip 
  • 9" graham cracker pie shell (store bought if ideal for this hot weather)
Directions:
  1. Whisk together lemonade concentrate with sweetened condensed milk.
  2. Fold in cool whip
  3. Pour into graham cracker crust
  4. Chill at least one hour
This pie can easily be served as is, but if you desire to make it a bit more fancy, cut the pie in eighths and place a small dollop of cool whip in the middle of each slice.  Cut four thin slices of lemon (leave peel on) and then cut each slice in half.  Gently twist the lemon slice and place on top of the cool whip.  A quick, elegant, cool, delicious summertime dessert!

For other weekend cooking ideas, please visit this post by Beth Fish Reads.

11 comments:

  1. Hello, YUM!! I love a good graham cracker crust, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, that sounds excellent and so easy. Of course, you should use a store bought Graham Cracker crust!

    Putting this one on the "To Make" list asap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all for no-heat summer desserts and I love the flavor of lemon. This is going in my recipe book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds perfect for the hot summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sympathies for all the Kansans suffering in the unbearable heat. Surely, there will be a break soon. The pie recipes looks delicious. I've copied it and will make it as soon as I get some lemonade from the store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds perfectly refreshing for this time of year. I've been trying not to turn on the oven too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I didn't realize that Kansas is hotter than FL in the summer. I don't blame you for not wanting to turn on the oven. The last time I needed a graham cracker crust, I made it from scratch but then when I added up what it cost for the crackers and the butter, I decided it's going to be store bought for me everythime!!
    This sounds so good, thanks for the recipe.

    Stay cool, kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is crazy hot here, too. Believe me, I know; jogged in it Thursday!

    I've never tasted lemonade pie; is it like key lime???

    Will make one!!
    Thanks!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't ever heard of anything like this pie. I'm curious what it looks like. I think the pink color might actually turn my boys off from eating this pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just want you to know that I actually bought all the ingredients for this when I was at the supermarket this evening...it is all your fault. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Molly, this sounds great! I will have to try it! My husband loves anything lemon especially desserts! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails