Thursday, May 13, 2010

A quick note....

As many of you know this is finals week for me and I have been a grading fiend!  Just one more day of school, a night of graduation, and I am free for the summer.

I have struggled with reading all week.  I have had a few minutes of free time each night and have longed to get lost in a good book for well-deserved distraction, but lately, nothing has grabbed me.  I must have tried 4 or 5 different books - everything from mystery to classic to memoir - and yet none of them swept me away as I had hoped.  Has that ever happened to you?

Last night however, I decided to pick up John Connolly's novel, The Book of Lost Things.  I thought perhaps I should try to read something for one of my many reading challenges and this one suits the requirement for Carl's Once Upon a Time challenge.

OH MY!!  This was the book I was meant to read at this time in my life.  I think I could easily highlight a meaningful word or phrase or paragraph from each of the 17 pages I have read so far.  But let me leave you with just one of those extraordinary word images:
Instead, there was only the kind of silence that comes when someone takes away a clock to be repaired and after a time you become aware of its absence because its gentle, reassuring tick is gone and you miss it so.
Is this as powerful to you as it is to me?  I shall ponder this quote all day....


17 comments:

  1. Yes, that is a real powerful quote - and the book title sounds very interesting too.

    And byt the way, hope all your grading goes well and then you can soon head into a long summer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found the perfect book. Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love books like that, and I've heard great things about this title. Glad to know you liked it, Molly, I'll have to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering what to read next for Carl's challenge. This might be the one. Good luck with finising up tommorrow. I hope you have a fabulous summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful quote. The book sounds like just the thing to help you escape from the end of the year frenzy. I'm sure after all of the grades are in you will settle into some lovely reading time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it referring to a relationship that was temporarily, or permanently lost? Very nice metaphor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kick that grading to the curb girl! Then kick back and read your heart out. What a great book to start your summer with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a lovely quote! I have that book sitting on my shelf, but I haven't read it yet. I'm so glad to hear that you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a favorite book of mine Molly!! You will think about it quite a bit after the final page is read!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear from you! And this is QUITE the interesting book. I read it a few years back and it was really quite different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great quotation! I'll definitely have to look into this book. The title alone is wonderful.

    Congratulations on being so close to being done. Hope you enjoy a nice quiet weekend as a prelude to a delightful summer off! (Been craving your delicious cheese enchiladas all week!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. YAY Molly, a well deserved respite indeed. Happy Reading this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Powerful quote - glad you found a book to settle in with. Happy summer vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Molyy, I *loved* that book, too! If you are enjoying it, then you might also like The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Yes. Don't you love it when you find the perfect book for the moment?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have had that kind of experience too. I just finished school a few days ago. I can now read so I know how that is. To find a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Read Book of Lost Things last month and was seriously addicted. Recommend it highly. Hope you enjoy reading the rest of it as well.

    Enjoy the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails