Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Not Quite "Wordless" Wednesday

One of the goals I hope to accomplish this summer is to learn to take a decent picture.  I have no aspirations of becoming a photographer, but I do want to learn how to compose a shot that someone besides myself wouldn't mind viewing.

I have borrowed my daughter's Canon Rebel camera until I decide which digital SLR I want for myself.  Yesterday was the first sunny day in Kansas in days (although it felt like months!).  I decided to venture to the local children's petting zoo, The Rose Deanna Farmstead, and take a few shots.  Actually, I took about 200 pictures, but I was pleased with about 15 of them.  I set up a Flickr account and experimented with the photo editing software, Picnik, to help 'pop' some of the colors.  Here are a few examples of my debut photography outing.

The quintessential Kansas barn - I wanted to try to capture the reflection in the water

I took countless pictures of the windmill full height, but I liked this photo best

One room schoolhouse from the turn of the century

I recently read a photography tip:  try to capture the small details.  This was my attempt

I really enjoy this photo of the chicken peering out of the coop.

The goats are a hoot!  They are trained to think that humans are synonymous with free food.

If the weather holds out tomorrow (yes, we are supposed to get another 2-3 inches of rain by Thursday night!), then I plan to take the camera to the local Arboretum to try my hand at floral and fauna pictures.

I hope you are having a lovely week!

14 comments:

  1. These are lovely photos. I like how the subjects are off center. And the colors are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you making the most of your summer already! These are really beautiful pictures Molly! Keep snapping them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, your photos are fabulous! I need to take lessons from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are terrific. I like the chicken one, of course, but I like your artsy one of the milk can too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the photos! I don't think I've ever seen a barn in real life with a roof like that. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos. I love taking my camera when I am walking my dog and taking many pics, so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Molly, these are all so lovely. the Bar/reflection is my favorite, but they are all great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think they are excellent. you need to go right out and buy your very own expensive DSLR right now.

    I think the windmill is my fav...no, the barn with the reflection...no, the can..or the chicken...

    next week, no words. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous photos! I love focusing in on details, too. Taking a piece of something and making it the most important thing.

    Reflections are fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photos, Molly! (Definite digital SLR envy here) You really have quite an eye. I liked the windmill, the milk can, and the chicken best. Can't wait to see what you do at the arboretum. Have fun "playing"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The windmill is my favorite - great photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome!!!!! Don't you just love walking around with a camera? I do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you are well on your way to taking excellent photos!!! These are wonderful!!! So vivid and sharp and you have a wonderful eye.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails