Monday, May 31, 2010

Book Acquisitions (not quite Mailbox Monday)

It has been a great Memorial Day weekend here!  On Saturday my husband and I went to the Half Price Bookstore in Westport, MO and then we ventured to a "new-to-us" but rather established local Dive (as Guy Fieri would call it) called the Westport Flea Market Bar and Grill.  Well, the flea market was nothing to sneeze at but the grill --- oh my word, one of the best hamburgers I have ever eaten!  I don't think I will have  problem coercing Geoff to go to Half Price Books any longer - if I promise him lunch in return.

On Sunday we went to a Hot Air Balloon festival in a small town about twenty minutes away.  When we left our house around 5:30 it was sunny; when we arrived at the park it was cloudy; thirty minutes before take-off they canceled the show.  There was a chance of two inch hail and sixty mile per hour winds!  (this would be typical Kansas threatening weather, so we really weren't too concerned...but totally understood the reason for the cancellation).  Fortunately we had enough time to taste a delicious pulled-pork sandwich and take a couple of pictures.  Hopefully we will have better luck next year.

Today I volunteered to help a friend scrapbook an album for her daughter's upcoming wedding.  It has been nearly two years since I scrapbooked (and I used to be a consultant!) and it felt really good to be in that creative mode again.  In fact, I was so inspired that I came home and printed off a couple of photographs from a previous European vacation that I hope to develop into some kind of Mixed Media art project (are you familiar with this term?  It was new to me until this weekend, but I am anxious to try it out).  Anyway, that will be my focus for this upcoming week.

In the meantime....I did not let the Half Price Bookstore 20% off Sale go to waste.  I managed to visit all four stores in my area and I found four great bargains.  I think I was rather selective because I know the annual library book sale is coming up on June 8-12 and I am saving my pennies for that one.  The books I managed to bring home from this week's sale include:

  • unopened audiobook on CD of To Kill a Mockingbird with Sissy Spacek as narrator.  I have had several bloggers recommend this as a great audiobook,  and since I read this book every year in anticipation of teaching it to my 9th graders, I thought an audio experience might be a nice change.  The Half Price price was $14.98 and I was able to take another 20% off of that!
  • A Christmas Memory, One Christmas, and The Thanksgiving Visitor by Truman Capote.  I have read this book before and really enjoyed it.  I knew I wanted to have it in my own personal Christmas collection, and the condition of the book is nearly new.  I simply could not resist.
  • We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson.  I read this book last year for Carl's RIP Challenge and I knew I wanted to have it in my own personal library.  I would like to re-read it each fall - it was just that good.  I have been on the lookout for this book for well over six months and with the added 20% off --- it was another "steal" as far as I am concerned.
  • Looking at Pictures by Joy Richardson.  I mentioned my trip to the Nelson Atkins Museum last week and the hour I spent in their bookstore.  I hemmed and hawed whether to by this book for at least half an hour.  Instead I opted to come home and request it from the library.  Once I received the book a couple of days later, I instantly knew that this was a book that I had to have.  I can't tell you how ecstatic I was to find this at Half Price - and with an additional discount.  I felt as though I had brought home the mother load!!
I also managed to receive three books this week in the mail -- a rare occurrence for me.  One of the books I won - and the other two I received from Paperback Swap.  Yes, I have decided to try this book swapping site - mostly due to the accolades of Cathy and Kim - and I must say that it is a pretty amazing.  It has taken me a while to get acclimated.  I have managed to mail 8 of my own books, but have only received 2 from other participants.  Although I am learning that the key is to keep you wishlist filled (and Paperback Swap helps you with that task by sending you a wish list every weekday with approximately 2,000 books that are available for you to peruse - you can even set your own parameters - and "wish away")  and to check the "just listed" queue on a regular basis.  I can see where this site could become very addicting in the future!  The books received in my mailbox include:
  • Real Murders by Charlaine Harris.  I am not really into the Sookie Stackhouse series, but this one focuses on Aurora Teagarden, a librarian who finds herself in the midst of a who-done-it.  Librarians are more my style.
  • Farm Fresh Murder by Paige Shelton.  This was a win from Rob at Books are Like Candy Corn and it is an autographed copy no less!  I am very exited to read this first in the series!
  • Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross.  This was my second Paperback Swap receipt.  I can't remember where I heard of this author, but I was instantly intrigued by her story.  She did not write this series until well past her forties, and it is now a highly successful series.  She  gives this middle-aged teacher some hope in life!
So there you have it -- a list of seven new books brought into the household to stay.  This does not include the fifty plus library books I have strewn all over the place - but that would be the subject of another post.


13 comments:

  1. All your books sound wonderful - you definitely had some great luck shopping! Real Murders sounds like something I'd like to read - I've always enjoyed mysteries with librarians in it (my favorite librarian-sleuth is Elizabeth Peter's Jacqueline Kirby).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phooey on the weather for not cooperating with your plans. I am glad you still had a great weekend though, Molly.

    Sounds like you got quite a few great books! I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad the balloons weren't able to take off - they are so beautiful to watch. At least you got a pulled pork sandwich out of it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend even though the weather did not fully cooperate. great book finds too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will LOVE the Mockingbird audio. Sissy Spacek embodies Scout. You have some other great books on your stack as well. Jealous! It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a lovely weekend, despite the balloon fest cancellation. I LOVE Paperback Swap. It's so nice to get rid of books that I don't want to keep and get ones that I really want in return.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an award for you. Stop by and grab it when you get a chance!

    http://derapsreads.blogspot.com/2010/06/one-week-two-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry the balloon festival was cancelled. There is something very calming about watching hot air balloons. I would love to see loads going up.

    Some fabulous books this week - loved To Kill a Mockingbird and I have been after that Shirley Jackson one for a while.

    Scrapbooking too this weekend. I am pleased to hear,your mojo has returned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you got an ace up your sleeve with the hamburger place!!! What a win-win!

    And I'm a huge fan of Paperback Swap. The key is to keep your wishlist filled up as much as possible (you can have up to 200 books on it). Be sure to list as many versions of the book as you can ... it increases your chances of getting it. And be sure to check out the PBS Market. You can use credits and a small amount of money to buy new books that have been overstocked. Once you get going with it, you'll love it. To me, it makes is easier to try books you might not try otherwise. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Three cheers for Paperback Swap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am totally putting my Jeff in the car one weekend and coming down to meet you and your Geoff in Westport! Great burgers and the Half-Price book store? Sounds like a great road trip to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember absolutely loving the Miss Julia series --- hope you will, too! And I would have totally grabbed that audio of TKaM...what a find!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You found some great bargains at half price books! I bet Sissy Spacek doesn't a fantastic job with To Kill a Mockingbird.

    There's a big hot air balloon festival here every Memorial Day weekend and there was so much rain here that weekend they hardly got off the ground.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails