Monday, February 9, 2009

Musing Monday - bookmarks

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about bookmarks… What do you use to mark your place while reading? Do you have a definite preference? Do you use bookmarks, paper, or (gasp) turn down the pages? If you use bookmarks, do you have a favourite one?

I have truly enjoyed reading all the postings for this meme. Truthfully, until today, I have given no thought to bookmarks. I tend to use whatever scrap piece of paper is lying around and yes -- I have actually (gasp!) dog-eared a page or two. Of course, I am one who annotates in my book, so to me a turned down page to mark a worthwhile passage is not a big deal. However, in reading these posts I have been reminded of my youth. I distinctly remember my 2nd grade teacher giving me my first bookmark and I LOVED it. I loved the feel of the slick hard plastic; I loved the beautiful watercolor picture and inspirational scripture verse; I even loved the silky-smooth tassel
that whimsically marked my spot with a touch of pastel color. In fact last year, unconsciously inspired by this touching gift of my past, I gave each senior in our graduating class a bookmark - to remind them of their high school days as they journeyed into their future as college adults. I so enjoyed selecting just the right bookmark to "mark" this occasion.

Then it hit me --- if I receive such pleasure from giving and receiving these little gems as gifts -- why don't I just use them myself?! DUH. They are such inexpensive little treasures that can instantly brighten my day. I read on one blog (sorry, I did not make note of whose it was - but it was a GREAT idea) that she keeps her bookmarks in a holder on her desk. She can easily select a bookmark to match her mood for the day. I read on another blog that she actually color coordinates her bookmark to match the cover of the book. Now you may laugh -- but I can totally sympathize with this mindset (and would probably do the same).

So, as you can see, I have been giving this bookmark usage a lot of thought (in between the 6 classes that I taught today). Then....guess what. After school the principal asked me into his office to discuss class schedules for next year. Before we started he gave me a gift to say "how special" teachers are. Do you know what it was?! YEP --- a bookmark! Isn't that so cool?! He had no idea that I had been thinking about this topic all day -- and he gave me my first bookmark to start my new collection. I LOVE IT when Mondays are such a happy start to the work week.

4 comments:

  1. That is a great story. Little things mean a lot, don't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bookmarks. I travel a lot and it is a gret (and inexpensive) gift to buy myself. I have a lot of different types of bookmarks - some paper, some leather, some made of metal. I keep them in the front of my book journal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great start to the week. I love bookmarks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Molly,
    Sorry it took me so long to get back with you on a letter! Believe it or not, A is the letter that came up (I didn't think the random organizer thingie ever picked #1 first!) Can't wait to see your list!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails