Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Library Loot - 2.12.09

I have a dilemma. There is no possible way that I can read every book that I brought home from the library today. A couple of these books I actually requested quite some time ago and my turn finally arrived - but most of the books from this week's visit are a direct result from book blog recommendations. My usual mode of operation is to quickly skim all books (which I will probably do this weekend) and then decide which ones I may want to have in my own personal collection (and then perhaps use my 20% off coupon at Half Price Books this weekend to purchase them) --- which ones I do not necessarily want to purchase, but would like to read soon --- and which ones I can probably wait and read at another, more convenient, time. Here is the list of the "stash":

The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff -- this has been on my list for quite sometime and I managed to pick up a copy at the library from the "new releases" shelf. Since this one is a limited loan book, I will probably start reading it this weekend.

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I am a great fan of The Thirteenth Tale, and this book has been paired with that one quite often. I have read some good reviews and am anxious to read it for myself. If it begins as well as the Thirteenth Tale, it will definitely be put on the "to be purchased for personal library" list.

The Meaning of the Night by Michael Cox. I really have heard very little of this book, except that it is another book that is often paired with The Thirteenth Tale.

I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb. I have read an excerpt of this and loved what I read so far. I understand that the narrative can get a little dry after a bit - but I am truly fascinated by the events of Columbine High School.

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. I truly do not remember when I saw this recommendation, but I do remember going directly to the library website and putting a hold on it.

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. I did not see the movie, nor do I think I want to -- but I am fascinated by this true life story.

Cotillion by Georgette Heyer. I have never read any of Heyer's novels. In fact, I had never heard of Georgette Heyer until about a month ago. I am fascinated by Jane Austen (but I think I am more fascinated by her sarcastic wit than I am about her Regency period romances) --- but I wanted to try one of Heyer's 50 novels to see how she compares. For those of you who are familiar with her work -- would you consider this to be one of her best?

So....are there books listed here that you would consider "must" reads? Can you recommend which book I should read first - and which ones perhaps can wait until summer - when I have more time and less stress in my life?

7 comments:

  1. Molly I got a couple books from the library today. The Hour I first believed by Wally Lamb and Drood by Dan Simmons. Don't think there will be any way I can get both of them read. Long books. Your going to like Shadow of the Wind. Great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'm in the minority here, but I got bored with the shadow of the wind. Didn't finish it. I haven't read the thirteenth tale either though but its on my list. I've heard them compared a few times so I'm not sure whther I'll like that either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got Shadow of the Wind based on the fact that i love the thirteen tale (have read that twice already!) but haven't started it yet.

    If Remains of the Day is the book they based the movie on I don't think I could read that.. very"dull" but the movie was not bad but not great either.

    knowing the ending of Into the Wild I don't think i could read this.. too sad. but then I just lost my brother a few months ago and that shades my reading some.

    those are the only ones I know anything about to comment on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My library habits are a lot like yours, lol! I recently read The Hour I First Believed. Here's what I wrote about it: http://lakesidemusing.blogspot.com/2009/01/hour-i-first-believed.html

    As for the others, The Monsters is on my wish list (a bookclub contender), Shadow has been on my tbr forever (not sure why I haven't read it yet), I enjoyed Krakauer's other book, and want to try a Heyer (she's been the topic of many blog posts lately). Good luck with your dilemma!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think that is the same Remains of the Day as the movie. Isn't the one you have on the WWII challenge list? If you read that one, it would be great to see you post your thoughts. Happy Valentine's day and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've picked some great books. Right now I'm rereading The Thirteenth Tale and if Shadow of the Wind is anything like it, it's next on my list to read. The Monsters of Templeton is a great book. You can wait until summer to read it though.

    I Know This Much is True is another great read. I say wait until summer also. It's such a huge book. But you can read it now for these cold winter nights.

    The rest I have not read. I can't wait to find out which ones you picked to read now, later, and to purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a bit late to the party, but in case you haven't read it yet, I love "Remains of the Day." Actually, all Ishiguro's books are excellent, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails