Monday, January 5, 2009

Musing Monday - 1.5.09

I am a little late posting today. I started back to school with a teacher in-service that lasted until 4:30pm!! Anyway, better late than never. Today's question asks:

Do you have a system for borrowing out books from the library? Do you know what you’re going to borrow before you get there? How often do you borrow out books?

Actually, I do have a system - but many who hear it find it rather funny (of course, they are not as obsessed with books as I am - so I am hoping that my blog friends will not find this nearly as "odd")

When I hear of a book that I think I might enjoy (and that is quickly becoming a daily activity now that I have discovered the book blog world) - I usually go to Amazon to investigate. I like Amazon for two reasons (although I think Barnes and Noble is now doing this as well. Old habits die hard). I like the "look inside" option so that I can view the table of contents (if non-fiction) and read an excerpt. This usually gives me an idea if it is a book that I might like to read. While I am on that webpage I also take the time to view "customers who bought this item also bought..." I can spend hours following all these literary links -- but alas, I try to limit myself to only an hour (or so).

After I have a list of several potential books, I then log onto my local library's website. I LOVE checking online to see if the book is available and then placing a hold to pick it up at my nearest branch. I think I currently have 12 books on hold (2 are waiting to be picked up; I am the first in line for 3 of them; and the remaining books have between 4 and 113 people ahead of me!!). I obviously do not have time to read all of these books, but hey, a girl can dream, can't she?

Anyway, since my time is limited I will probably skim most of these books. Usually I can quickly tell whether this is a book that I want to have in my own personal library - or whether it is a book that I want to read but do not feel the need to own -- or whether it is a book that I do not feel inspired to read at the moment. Those that I want to purchase I begin a savings fund (and you already know where I will shop for them first - so I will not discuss my buying habits again) -- and those that I do not feel the need to own I will try to finish reading before the 3 week due date.

I rarely "browse" the library bookshelves. If I browse, I do it online by selecting "nearby items on shelf" or "find more on these topics" I do make the exception, however, when I go inside to return my books. The return slot is directly across from the recently acquired section of books and I always look to see if there is a new title that I just can't live without. Other than that, I only go into the library to take out or return books.

I typically go to the library's website once or twice a week to select items for hold. I try to make a trip to the library only once a week to pick up those holds. I try to remember to take any completed books to the library at that time to save a trip (and gas).

So, there you have it. I truly do LOVE my library and I am grateful that the shelves are well stocked and the local branch is only about 10 minutes from my home.

5 comments:

  1. I thought I was the only one! I do the same thing: I find out about a book, check it out on Amazon, if I like the description, place it on hold on paperbackswap and the library. I'll also put it on my wish list on Amazon. If I read it from the library and don't love it, I'll take it off of hold at the library.

    My library is also close but because I usually have my kids and siblings with me, I don't have the luxury of browsing. If I'm alone, I can browse for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad my library has a goon online system! I don't get to browse my library because I always have to have someone take me (I don't drive anymore), so I'm usually in and out pretty quickly. How I would love to linger!

    By the way, I'm sending you the Butterfly Award! Come to my blog and check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't sound odd--sounds efficient to me! Although I do the same thing at times! ;)
    Hope your week back to work is going well--
    *smiles*
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live in a country town (Australia), and to be honest, I haven't borrowed anything from there yet. But, my husband does... anything and everything about fishing. Because fishing is what everyone does around here, lol, and he loves it.

    I spent nearly $20.00 on a new fiction book today, so after that is read, I am going to start checking out the library more often.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails