Thursday, April 28, 2016

A-Z Challenge: X is for XX Arrondissements

commons.wikimedia.org
X is one tough letter! However, as a roman numeral, it works great.

Paris is divided into twenty sections, otherwise known as arrondissements

The division begins in the center of the city - on the Ile de la Cite - and continues clockwise in a large circle.

Some popular arrondissements include:

VII (7th) Arrondissement where the Eiffel Tower resides.

V (5th) Arrondissement, home of the Latin Quarter.

IX (9th) Arrondissement, home of the Garnier Opera House.

XVIII (18th) Arrondissement: Montmartre.

Of course my favorite is the 18th.

I have already discussed my first visit to Montmartre: my love-at-first-sight reaction to Place du Tertre; my reverence for the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris; and my dining experience at Renoir's famed Moulin de la Galette.

I thought perhaps as a tribute to my home away from home, I would share photos of my apartment (a mere five minute walk to Place du Tertre), and my neighborhood. I yearn to return, this time with my husband.

My favorite meal - delicious roasted chicken and tabouleh
"my" cafe: Le Relais de la Butte
The view from my seat at the cafe - formidable!
Old world charm meets New world graffiti
Montmartre Cemetery - Degas' plot
Neighborhood goods and services

Local families...

My one bedroom apartment: small but quite functional






11 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! I love the view from the cafe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On a clear sunny day - it was hard to get up and walk away :)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely neighborhood and apartment. I can see why you're keen to get back :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ... and the owner was so kind and thoughtful. I really felt like we were family.

      Delete
  3. Great idea for letter X! I was so confused when I learned about the arrondissements for the first time because here in Germany we don't count our "Stadtviertel". I always forget which one is where and I'd really prefer them to be called like "Opera", "Notre Dame", etc. But I guess I won't be asked and the French love their arrondissements ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like your practical suggestion though! Perhaps they can add subtitles to their arrondissements :)

      Delete
    2. *lol* Subtitles would be great indeed.

      Delete
  4. Now I'm coveting your little apartment and the cafe. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss it and hope to return someday to "my" apartment with my husband :)

      Delete
  5. Love the photos. YOu lived in a very nice place :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! I found it on HomeAway and it was everything I thought it would be.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails