Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Hogwarts Challenge


I need to join another reading challenge like I need a hole in the head, but this one, hosted by Bunnita of Worth Reading It, is one of the most creative challenges I have seen.  How could I say no?

The challenge takes place from March 8 - December 13, 2010.In that time frame I will need to read at least 5 books from the list of 12 Hogwart's classes to qualify to win a $25 Amazon gift card. The class titles should be familiar to any Harry Potter fan, and the descriptions are quite creative and rather all-encompassing:

  • Transfiguration - read any book that has trans or figure in its title, is about shape shifting, has a shape shifter in it, or is about anything having to do with changing one thing into another
  • Defense Against the Dark Arts - read any book that has defence(defense), dark and/or art(s) in its title, read any book that is about self defense, war, history of war/marital arts, murder mysteries&
  • Charms - read any book that has charm in its title, any book that deals with gives something or someone a new aspect (for example the nerdy guy become a handsome doctor)
  • Potions - read any book that has potion in its title, cookbooks count but you must cook at least one recipe out of the book
  • Astronomy - read any book that has astronomy in its title, books about planets, stars, etc, sci-fi
  • History of Magic - read any book that has history or magic in its title, books about magic, witches, etc
  • Herbology - read any book that has herb in its title, again cookbooks count and again you must cook at least one recipe out of the book
  • Arithmancy - read any book that has arithmancy in its title, any book with a number in its title, any book that deal with numbers or math
  • Ancient Runes - read any book that has ancient or runes in its title, books about historical places like the pyramids, Stonehenge, great wall of china, or any book about symbols
  • Divination - read any book that has divine in its title, any book about psychics or psychic abilities, tarot reading etc
  • Care of Magical Creatures - read any book that has magical or creatures in its title, about supernatural beings
  • Muggle Studies - nearly any book works here, what better why to understand Muggle than to read what they read

Before officially signing up, I had to take a Sorting Hat quiz to discover the team that I will join. How cool is that?! I learned that I am a HufflePuff, which honestly, I was not surprised (I expected that or Raven Claw). I will earn one point for each book that I read and that, in turn, will help the Hufflepuff house earn points as well. Reading a Harry Potter book, however, will earn a full 25 points - and since my goal is to try to read the series this year (for the first time, I might add), I am hoping to be of some value to my house team.

My first book for this challenge will be to finish the 2nd audio book in the series, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, over spring break and start the third. I think this challenge will tie in nicely with my audio/exercise routine and should help me think creatively about titles of books that I plan to read in the future.

Kudos to Bunnita for developing such a fun, unique challenge!



P.S. --- I have attempted to rewrite this post after the html code was being shown on my blog (not sure why - but hopefully it is now fixed.  UGH!!)

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun challenge! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Challenges are a blast! Good luck and lots of enjoyment with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun and creative challenge. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a brilliant challenge!! I was a Hufflepuff aswell. Don't think Ill do the challenge, but good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredibly cool and creative challenge!! Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever, clever challenge! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a unique and creative challenge! Have fun with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Because you didn't have enough reading on your plate, right?! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This challenge sounds like so much fun! I already know I'll probably fail it so I better leave it alone! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool way to choose the next book to read, instead of wandering around the library shelves! I'd like to suggest you try my humorous murder mystery series - The Bob White Birder Murders - for your Dark Arts challenge. You might see some of yourself in it, since I was a SAHM until I went back to get my MA in English, and I spent 6 years working in a high school. The second book in the series - Murder on Warbler Weekend - revolves around high school students in May, so you get spring fever, the girls' softball team, and lots of dress code violations! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a really fun challenge. I have sworn off all challenges or I would join myself! I look forward to your challenge updates and reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails