Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tuesday Teasers - 8.4.09

There are two Tuesday memes that coordinate well with one another and I am so excited to participate in both of them today.

It's Tuesday, Where are You is hosted by Raider Girl of An Adventure in Reading. I am living in Princeton, NJ where I have been an admissions counselor for said Ivy League university for ten years. I take my job very seriously, reading and evaluating over 800 college applications each year. While I thoroughly enjoy giving students the educational opportunity of a lifetime, I am always mournful of the best and the brightest that we must turn away. I have just recently come to face to face with a ghost from my past and I am struggling to deal with seventeen years of pent up emotion.

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following: Grab your current read - Open to a random page - Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page.

"The traveling was done for the year, and what remained was this confluence of the cold and winter, and the all-in-our-hands sense of bleak responsibility: to the trustees and faculty, of course, and to the guidance counselors (who were, for better or worse, their partners in the work of getting the right students into the freshman class), and, yes, to the alumni, because Princeton honored its graduates and wished to retain their high opinion. But mainly to the applicants themselves, who collectively seemed to hover everywhere in Portia's imagination, like spectral Jude the Obscures, waiting for the verdict on their futures and - Portia very much feared - their sense of self-worth." -- page 217 Admission by Jean Hanff Korelitz

5 comments:

  1. What a difficult position to be in - knowing you have to break the dreams of so many young people. Sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh--so you're that person! That must be a tough job. You do both that and teach h.s. English?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard some great comments on this title; thanks Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to hate having to turn down candidates for admission. In my case many of them were applying for teaching programmes and had wanted to be teachers all their lives. But, offering a place to someone you know is going to struggle is cruel as well. It's a part of the job I'm glad to have left behind.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails