Thursday, August 20, 2009

BTT: "Best" Recent Read

There has been a series of BTT questions over the past several weeks which, unfortunately, I have not had a chance to participate: What is the funniest - most serious - worst book you have read recently. Today's question asks:
What’s the best book you’ve read recently?

I think I can narrow my choice to two recent reads. My first choice would be The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein, primarily because it was my most recent read and I thoroughly enjoyed it (you can find my review here). I liked this book on so many levels, not the least of which is that it is told from Enzo's Point of View, a wonderfully loyal dog who garnered my sympathy right off the bat. The story has other memorable characters and well-developed, classic themes such as love and friendship. I am sure that this book will be one of my top 10 reads for 2009.

The second book that would qualify as a favorite recent read would have to be The Help by Kathryn Stockett (review found here). It has been nearly 5 months since I read this novel and I still find myself thinking about life in Mississippi in the early 1960s and the memorable voice of Aibileen. This is another book that will definitely make the list of this year's top 10 favorite reads.

So how about you, have you read either one of these books? What did you think? What are your favorite books of the year so far?

22 comments:

  1. Your review convinced me to start looking for a copy of The Art of Racing in the Rain! The Help is my favorite audiobook so far this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was hard for me to pick just one, so I did a top five :) Here's my BTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i actually haven't read either one but im putting them on my tbr list on goodreads =)

    here's mine

    http://thatchickthatreads.blogspot.com/2009/08/booking-through-thrusday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just picked up The Art of Racing In The Rain & keep hearing how great The Help is, guess I really should add this to my wish list too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice picks! It's fun to highlight our best books of late.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree with you 100% on these two books - loved them both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved The Art of Racing in the Rain and hope to read The Help soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Help was wonderful and I hope to get to Art of Racing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really sounds like The Help stuck with you - I love books that have the power to continue to stir up strong and warm memories long after reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the second pick for The Help I've seen today...must be a good book!

    My BTT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Got both books on my every growing mountain of TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I had to choose one, The Art of Racing in the Rain would definitely be it. Awesome ,awesome book deserving of every rave review it ever got. I lent it to my sister who is not a big reader at all hoping that this one will catch her attention.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't even heard of any of these books! lol I like that you could so easily choose your best reads lately, too :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quite a few people have mentioned The Help today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to read The Help soon! I've heard nothing but raves about that book!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those two books are both going to be on my top 2009 list - they were both excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've heard nothing but raves about both ... and your reviews were excellent. : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with you about books that stay with you months after you've set it down. For me, too, that is the joy of good reading.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked The Art of Racing but didn't love it as much as I wanted to. I've been hearing that The Help is fantastic, though. So glad it was great for you! Hopefully it will be in paperback soon (or is it?).

    ReplyDelete
  20. ohh, goody! i've got 'the help' on my nightstand and i can't wait to jump into it!

    the best book i've read? ummm...the gargoyle. it was suggested to me by another blogger and i LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails