Friday, August 7, 2009

The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
Harper Collins Publishers
2008 (321 pages)
My rating: 5 out of 5

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver. Through Denny, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn't simply about going fast. Using the techniques needed on the race track, one can successfully navigate all of life's ordeals.

On the eve of his death, Enzo takes stock of his life, recalling all that he and his family have been through: the sacrifices Denny has made to succeed professionally; the unexpected loss of Eve, Denny's wife; the three-year battle over their daughter, Zoë, whose maternal grandparents pulled every string to gain custody. In the end, despite what he sees as his own limitations, Enzo comes through heroically to preserve the Swift family, holding in his heart the dream that Denny will become a racing champion with Zoë at his side.

My Review:
I am writing this review about thirty minutes after I finished reading the book and I still have tears in my eyes. While I am a sucker for any narrative with a dog as the protagonist, I truly did not expect to have such an emotional reaction to a book that uses the racing car circuit as an analogy for life. I am ashamed to admit that I have been one of those people who laughed when people talked of the Indy 500 being a "sport". I have even made fun of people who attend the NASCAR races when they come to the Kansas City, Kansas track, but I must confess that this book has instilled in me a greater appreciation for the talent, skill and dedication that it takes to be a champion race car driver. To all the car racing enthusiasts out there, I owe you an apology.

This story is so much more than a "dog" story; it is so much more than an auto racing metaphor. This is a story of life itself: all the love, devotion, illness, unfairness, pettiness, and justice that humanity has to offer. The narrative is told from Enzo's point of view on the eve of his death. Yes, the reader is told in the first chapter that our canine protagonist is going to die. We know how the story will end and yet we are compelled to read further. Garth Stein has totally captured the voice and personality of this lovable pet. Enzo is an intelligent dog, intuitive and accepting of nearly everything except perhaps the fact that he is without opposable thumbs. However Enzo if very optimistic and he is certain that he will come back in another life as a human; he looks forward to the opportunity to grasp and carry things, as well as to speak rather than communicate only through gestures.

While the book is a quick read with simple language, the themes are richly detailed and the characters well-developed. While this story is told through Enzo's eyes, he is a reliable narrator as far as being a devoted, loyal follower of his master. Denny Swift is portrayed well as a dreamer who never loses sight of his career goals, while at the same time remaining true to his wife and daughter. The reader not only falls in love with Enzo, but we also admire and respect Denny's strong character. The "evil twins", that is, Denny's in-laws, are also very well defined, as I found myself truly loathing these characters fairly early on in the book. Even a few of the minor characters are brought to life through Stein's writing.

The plot was appropriately paced and the interspersing of car-racing wisdom was not only uniquely creative, but also added a depth to the storyline that enriched the understanding and entertainment of the book. As I said before, I have never been a car racing enthusiast, and I am not sure that I will become one even after reading this novel, but I fully understand the complexities of the sport after being introduced to such one-liners as:
Your car goes where your eyes go.
No race has ever been won in the first corner; many have been lost there.
There is no dishonor in losing the race; there is only dishonor in not racing because you are afraid to lose.

In short I would say that this is a must-read book if you are a dog lover; if you enjoy tales of romance; if you enjoy tales of the American dream; and if you believe that right should always win in the end. Even though I still have tears in my eyes, there is also a pleasant smile on face. Now if you will excuse me, I need to go downstairs and love on my labs.

12 comments:

  1. This is one of my all time favorite books. I read it last year and then I gave it to everyone for Christmas. I'm so glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enzo made me cry and laugh too. His want of thumbs was so comical. I just loved the book. Actually, it was much deeper than I thought it would be. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a book I need to find and read - right now! Fabulous, heartfelt review, Molly, and I'm with you on NASCAR racing. My brother-in-law is an enthusiast, so I could use a dose of understanding and appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds absolutely fabulous and a must read for me. It's been on my radar for a while but now I think I need to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book will still be with you weeks from now! At first I found the race stuff tedious but by the end I totally got it. And I completely stopped thinking of Enzo as an animal. I knew he was a dog--but he wasn't. Such a sad book and yet so uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew you'd love this one since you're a dog lover. Our dog is 13 and a half, so I just sobbed at the end of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know if you were happening to read this as part of The Literate Housewife's Dog Days of Summer? It qualifies...so, you may want to check it out. PRIZES!

    I read this in hardcover when it first came out. I got to say... I didn't love this book. I think I was just so much more attached to Marley & Me than this book. But, I really loved writing the book review on this one because of my beloved lab Tori. There's a picture you just have to check out on my post... http://anovelmenagerie.com/2008/09/28/the-sunday-salon-the-art-of-racing-in-the-rain/

    Thanks for the review.

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. A favorite book of 2008. The audio (ENZO) was fabulous!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You covered the bases when you listed who this book might appeal to.

    I haven't yet read it; I'm not a "dog person" (not that I don't like dogs, my two boys have allergies, so we're forced to give them a wide berth).

    I loved EDGAR SAWTELLE (which I haven't yet reviewed), and found that books with a dog on the cover aren't just for dog lovers ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every review I read of this book convinces me that I should stay well away from it otherwise the house is simply going to be awash with tears. I am a sucker for almost any dog, but for labs....!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this one a few weeks ago and it will probably end up on my favorite list of 2009 - it was just so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful review! You made me want to read it ... just because I'm curious to see how an author might write from a dog's point of view. I heard about this one other blogs and everyone seems to love it. I read a short story by Dave Eggers that was written from the point of view of a dog and it was just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails