Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Blog Identity Crisis - Resolved

For those who have followed this blog over the years (and I can't thank you enough for your support) ... you know its identity struggles.

My Cozy Book Nook began in 2009 as a book review blog. As many new bloggers of that era... I knew I wanted to write, but I didn't know what to write. The book blogging community was the perfect place to start: I enjoyed reading - I enjoyed talking about books - I loved adding to my TBR (to be read) lists. It was a win/win. I met many online friends whom I continue to visit today.


But life happens... and many changes occurred over these past nine years.

  • Mom passed in 2011 and I became an adult orphan - the matriarch of the family. A role I was not quite ready to assume.
  • On the day of Mom's memorial service, I became a grandmother for the first time. Another role I was not quite ready to accept.
  • Two months later, my youngest graduated, moved to her own place, and we officially became an empty nest. While I knew this time would come, I wasn't quite prepared for the speed in which it all happened.
  • I retired from a ten-year teaching career in 2014 ... only to return to the classroom in a limited capacity in 2015 ... and then again in 2017. I seem to find retirement difficult to embrace.
  • I led two groups to Europe (a total of 72 students/teachers/parents)  and took one two-week solo trip to Paris. Travel is in my blood.
  • I also wrote and published three books: two non-fiction - Journaling Toward Wholeness and Italian Family Christmas - and Ellie's Paris Adventure (Middle-Grade realistic fiction).

These life events broadened my scope - and my nook was no longer just a library.

While I still love to read... reading does not define me. 

While I still love to teach ... teaching is no longer my primary vocation.

While I still love to write (and journal) ... writing does not dictate my life.

While I love to travel - and share those adventures with others ... I am not a travel blog.

I also love photography, scrapbooking and my basset ... but I do want to be defined by those interests.

It became apparent that a niche blog was too confining.

However... I am able to pursue all these interests because I am now enjoying the luxury of midlife.

Yes, I admit it. I am over-the-hill ... entering the 3rd act ... AARP candidate.

They say we are only as old as we feel. If that were the case, I am still in the prime of life - late 30s or perhaps early 40s. But facts present otherwise. I have three children, nearly 33, 30 and 25. I have two grandchildren. In eighteen months I will be sixty years old.

How did this happen?! I have lots of life to live - lots of experiences to share. I still long to challenge myself and connect with others.

But as luck would have it in this internet age, I found my tribe: several "over 50" bloggers who provide encouragement, support, and inspiration for my generation. And how I long to be a part of this vibrant community.

So thank you... 
... and I'm sure many others I have yet to meet. You have given me hope, inspired me to pursue my interests with abandon, and given me a safe place to share my thoughts and dreams. Today is indeed the first day of the rest of my life.


30 comments:

  1. So glad you've found your direction and tribe. Cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much, RJ... for the continued support and encouragement :)

      Delete
  2. Keep going that is the only thing that we can do and you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the positive encouraging words! I plan to do just that :)

      Delete
  3. Life is about change. I never thought about being 60 and I find myself 62. C'est la vie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... I remember in high school thinking 50 was old :) I'm trying not to focus on the number, however, and instead focus on the journey.

      Delete
  4. Some of your blog journey sounds familiar....we do grow and change. I think that's the fun of it. Faithful followers of our blogs know the beginning and the middle, new readers usually stick to the middle and follow on our journey - we never know who will be there at the end. But we will know we enjoyed the ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Donna... this is exactly why I continue to blog. I LOVE hearing I am not alone on this journey - that others out there share similar experiences. And I love connecting and encouraging one another in whatever phase of life we find ourselves.

      Delete
  5. Hello! So lovely to meet you and to hear your story. Love the title of your blog! The online world can be really inspiring, nurturing and encouraging, can't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it can, Leanne :) Thanks so much for stopping by!
      My Cozy Book Nook is indeed my corner of the house - and the internet. It is a safe place for me and hopefully for others.

      Delete
  6. I loved reading your post as I've recently made a slight change of focus to my blog. I've also recently come across the midlife bloggers you mentioned and been inspired by them. Looking forward to reading more of your posts. Shared on SM #MLSTL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO grateful I found the #MLSTL community. When I stumbled upon this meme and Leanne's blog, I felt as though I found my tribe. I am excited to get to know all of you as we share this midlife experience together.

      Delete
  7. Hello Molly and I'm so glad you found us all and we found you! I love the women I have connected with over the last 3 years of blogging and I feel that you and I have much in common. We are enjoying life and embracing all it has to offer. Thanks so much for the mention of my blog and also for joining us at Midlife Share the Love Party. See you next week! #MLSTL xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only had an opportunity to read a few of your posts, Sue, but I relate to so much you have shared. Thank you ... for reaching out to us with a helping hand. I look forward to connecting in the weeks, months, and even years to come!

      Delete
  8. Yay you! Glad you'll still be around, in whatever capacity. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have NO idea how much this comment made me smile! I have loved connecting with you over the years - and look forward to our continued online friendship. Who knows... I'm even hoping to attend BEA again some year and I'd love to catch up in person :)

      Delete
  9. Midlife blogging is just the best thing I've ever discovered. I love that we can share our lives and our thoughts - my blog is full of random stuff that pops up in my head and ends up in a post. I worried about finding my "niche" but now I just call it "Midlife" and get on with writing and enjoying all the fabulous women I've connected with - welcome to my tribe :) and thanks for starting your list with my blog xx

    Thanks for linking up with us at #MLSTL and I've shared this on my SM
    Leanne | www.crestingthehill.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leanne... I wish I could remember how I first discovered your blog, but I am forever grateful for that serendipitous moment. I feel as though these past few years my blog has wandered aimlessly along... but now I have found my true direction. I am indebted to your willingness to share your words with the world.

      Delete
  10. Life is such a wonderful adventure, isn’t it? I’m happy that we get to enjoy each other’s experiences here on the Internet. It makes everything even more pleasurable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does, Deb! And I especially love the books we've shared as well as the international travel dreams (and realities) :) I'm excited to hear about your trip to the mother country (Italy) and to see what retirement adventures await you when you return home!

      Delete
  11. My opinion is that 60 is the new 40! I know - everyone says it, but I turned 60 last fall and my life is really, really rewarding right now. I love hearing about your journey and will be happy to read about whatever you'd like to share with us. And retirement - it's all good - for me anyway. Working on better health has been a great journey - my husband and I both are in a much improved state in that regard. So, good luck to you. You have a lot to discover and experience. And we'll be here cheering you on, Molly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kay... another one of my longtime online friends. How I appreciate your constant support and encouragement. Yes, a focus on health in this last act of life is something I want to do - especially in the area of exercise and movement. I'd love to hear any tips you may have :)

      Delete
  12. I very much enjoyed this post about sorting out your priorities at 60. I'm almost 10 years in advance of you (minus the children and grandchildren) but can very much relate to your thoughts here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you SO much for stopping by - and offering the hand of online friendship :) I can't tell you how encouraging it is to hear I am not an island unto myself - that there are several out there dealing with the same challenges (and joys) of this phase of life!

      Delete
  13. Blogs do evolve over time and it sounds like you've found the right direction for yours. One which I can relate to as I'm in my third act as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE reading about your sea adventures and writing pursuits! And of course, your sense of humor is always a breath of fresh air for me :)

      Delete
  14. Our blog has also evolved over time. At one point we thought we would do fashion but that was more work than we thought. Daughter isn't in the picture much because she works full time so I like you have found my niche with the mid lifers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea that you and your daughter share a blog ... however I can't imagine the organization and coordination of schedules to make that happen :)

      Delete
  15. I think that we gain freedom as we age, even though the experiences along the way can be tough lessons. I'm 63 and just in the beginning stages of blogging. I love that you've been writing, adjusting and evolving with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am (slowly) learning to let go of worries and just enjoy life, Candi :) Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails