Sunday, February 21, 2010

Weekend Cooking: PTA Casserole

 Weekend Cooking is graciously hosted by Beth Fish and allows me to focus on another passion in life:  cooking.  She encourages us to post anything that has to do with food:  a recipe, a cookbook review, a kitchen gadget promotion - anything.  So if you care to play along, visit the introductory post found here

When the kids were younger and life was more hectic (aka - Mom was the only one available with a driver's license to take 3 children to various extra-curricular activities and social engagements), I would gravitate toward the 365 Meal books to help me fix dinner in a pinch.  At one time I think I owned every title made, but I found that the 365 ways to cook Pasta, Chicken, and Ground Meat to be the tried-and-true favorites.  Later this year, if and when the weather ever becomes sunny and warm, I will post the recipe for Pasta Salad that everyone in the family adores - but for today, I thought I would post the recipe for soul-satisfying PTA casserole.  This dish is very easy to prepare, makes a ton to allow for leftovers, and in my humble opinion, epitomizes the meaning of comfort food!


PTA CASSEROLE
Ingredients:
  • 8 oz elbow macaroni -- cooked until tender
  • 1 pound ground meat
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 cups tomato sauce
  • 1 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 8 oz cream cheese - softened
  • 1 cup cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • Parmesan cheese (my addition)
Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large skillet - cook ground meat and onion over medium-high heat, stirring often to break up clumps of meat, until beef is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.  Drain off excess fat.  Stir in tomato sauce, celery salt and pepper.
  3. In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream and parsley until smooth.
  4. In a buttered (I use Pam) deep 3-quart casserole, layer the macaroni, all of cheese mixture, and remaining macaroni. Top macaroni with meat sauce and dot with butter (I eliminate the butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese instead).
  5. Bake until casserole is bubbling, about 45 minutes
  6. NOTE:  this can be prepared through step 4 in advance, cover and refrigerate for up to one day before baking.

4 comments:

  1. Yep -- that is definitely a recipe for comfort food. Sounds rich and yummy. And easy to make on a week night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummy, Molly! I think my mom used to make something similar. I will be looking forward to seeing the pasta salad recipe someday. In the summer that is always a hit around here--can never go wrong with pasta!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious!

    I gave you an award. Check it out at http://socratesbookreviews.blogspot.com/2010/02/another-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is actually one of my favorite cookbooks, believe it or not. It's got such a wide variety of recipes, and everything I've made from it has turned out delicious. I don't think I've ever made the PTA casserole, though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails