I have currently completed 2 summers -- one in Santa Fe, NM where I took a course on Chaucer's Canterbury Tales and a course on Victorian Narratives; and last summer I attended the campus in Asheville, NC where I took a course called Rewriting Your Life and one on Teaching Shakespeare.
There are two other campuses that I can attend, or I can go back to either of the above locations. My quandary is that I really...REALLY...REALLY want to go to Oxford. They have a class entitled, Atlantic Crossings: Anglo-American Literary Relations from 1798-1900 ---and it will fulfill two of my remaining American Lit and Brit Lit post 1700 requirements. The problem is....of course....money. I am just not sure that I swing the cost and even if I can - there will be the added airfare expense and the inevitable sight-seeing excursions that I know I will want to take. Somehow it just does not seem fair to my family if I do this. YET....this is truly a chance of a lifetime and a window of opportunity. I am clueless how to proceed. Any wisdom or advice from you literary experts out there would be greatly appreciated.
NOW...this does have a direct impact on blogging. See, if I take this course then I think I can safely join some other reading challenges that have tempted me for weeks, namely the Typically British reading challenge and the Chunkster challenge. The required reading for this susmmer course includes Moby Dick and The Mill on the Floss (definitely chunkster material), as well as Walden, Scarlet Letter, selections from Edgar Allan Poe, Frankenstein, and The House of Mirth.
On the other hand, if I do not go to Oxford, then I will probably return to Asheville, where I will take another writing course (this time focusing on Writing about Place) and a course solely devoted to Faulkner (whom I have never read, but the professor is amazing and I have been told that I simply must take him before I graduate). I guess if Oxford does not pan out, I can offer my own reading challenge on Faulkner material (just trying to look on the bright side of things). AND...if I do not go to England then there is the very good chance that I can attend the Book Expo of America 2010 in New York City - which was quite the blast year.
Anyway, there is my dilemma. I do not have to decide on a campus until mid-February, but for those of you who know me, I do like to have all my ducks in a row as soon as possible. If you have any opinion whatsoever regarding this "momentous" decision :) ---- I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.