Thursday, December 24, 2009

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas.....

Well, they have been predicting snow for Christmas Eve all week, but I know better than to believe them. Weather in the Midwest is extremely unpredictable and each year we are told there is a chance of a white Christmas, only to be told on the 23rd that the storm will pass us by. I refused to get my hopes up this year. Well, it is now Christmas Eve and we are still in a Winter Storm Warning until tomorrow night --- so it looks like Christmas 2009 will indeed be a dream come true for me! I think we are supposed to have about 3-4 inches of snow in my local area, which is enough to cover the ground, but not too much to cause major problems. (the picture to the left was actually taken last year -- but I am hopeful that the backyard will look like this in a few hours).

My back is still causing me problems, but that has not kept me from doing all the food preparations. I have solicited the help of family members in ironing the holiday linens and bringing up the Christmas platters, but other than that, I have paced myself to do what needs to be done without overdoing it. Truth be told - this was probably a blessing in disguise. I rarely take time to sit down and relax during this hectic season -- always rationalizing that there is something else that needs to be done. The pain in my backside has forced me to take frequent breaks - and what better way to take a break than to read a good book.

I have read - and became completely engrossed in Time was Soft There: a Paris Sojourn at Shakespeare an Co. by Jeremy Mercer (my review will be posted soon); I skimmed Book by Book by Michael Dirda (a mini review will also be posted); and I have just started reading The Children's Book by A. S. Byatt, which I am thoroughly enjoying (yes -- my copy arrived at the local library two days ago and I am thrilled. It was like an early Christmas present).

I need to assemble the spinach bread, make the aioli sauce, set the table, and wrap a few more presents. Otherwise I plan to sit in front of the tree, patiently waiting for the soft snowflakes to blanket the ground, and read a good book.

I hope you are having a memorable Christmas Eve as well, filled with the joy and happiness of this special holiday season.

Merry Christmas to all of you --- my most precious cyber friends!!

29 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by Time was Soft There...I have a watercolor of Shakespeare & Co bookstore on my wall -- it's one of my favorite pieces from my trip to Paris. Can't wait for your review.

    Merry Chritmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a lovely white Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have no chance at all of a White Christmas here in Southern California :-). Have a very happy holiday, Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly, so happy you are getting your white Christmas!!! Sorry to hear about your back :( But very glad you are enjoying The Children's Book as I just bought that one last week!

    Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never lived anywhere where there was a remote chance of a white Christmas. I hope you get yours! Take care of yourself and have a very Merry Christmas with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas to you and yours Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry, Merry Christmas Molly!! Enjoy the snow. Thank you again for A Dog Named Christmas...it arrived yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do hope you get your white Christmas! We were dreaming of one here in Indiana, but I fear we may need to be happy with sleet! We may get some snow this weekend though, which would thrill my kids. Me, I'm just happy to be away from home and not sweating! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a Merry Christmas, Molly!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you will get to have a White Christmas this year :)
    It's good to have your family members helping you out so you can heal back up and also spens sometime witha good book too:-)

    Merry Christams to you Molly and your loved ones, stay joyous, healthy and hapy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Holidays, Molly!

    Hope that back feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoy your white Christmas with your family Molly! Hoping that your back improves and take advantage of the extra help and rest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for the white Christmas! I hope that your back feels better.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you truly enjoy your white Christmas. It was 78 degrees here this afternoon and my azaleas are blooming like crazy.

    Don't do any snow shovelling with a bad back. Relax and just enjpy the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have a wonderful Christmas time - hope it is white and jolly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Merry Christmas, Molly! I hope you have your snow, but not too much of it. Enjoy your time with your family, and rest that back!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I watched White Christmas with Bing yesterday so you would get your snow...I hope it worked!

    Wishing a happy Christmas to you and yours...

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful picture. Hope you are have a very merry christmas, Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Merry Christmas. It looks like a White Christmas has finally come your way! :) I'm 'enjoying' the same storm system, though we're getting about a foot of it! Hope you're having a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Merry Christmas to you and yours! We've had such a lovely day here and the gravy turned out...phew!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Merry Christmas! I hope your back feels better. And I hope your Christmas has been snowy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope you had a nice Christmas Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I heard from our friends and family in the Kansas City area that you did indeed get your wish of a wonderful while Christmas. Sure hope your back is better and that you can completely enjoy your time off.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope you are enjoying your holidays, Molly! My warmest wishes to you and your family!

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  25. A belated "Merry Christmas" from my part of the world, Molly :-)
    I hope you and your family had a few wonderful days!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails