Summer Vacation Reading Challenge:
I love to travel, but with the economy the way it is, a get-away summer vacation is not in the budget this year. However, books are very affordable (and libraries add new meaning to the phrase "price is no object"). I anticipate taking many 'literary' vacations over the course of the next few months, and I hope you can join me as well.
Dates: Friday, May 22 - Monday, September 7, 2009 (Memorial Day weekend - Labor Day weekend)
Requirements: Summer vacations are meant to be relaxing and fun - not stressful. However, some people interpret "fun" by doing nothing but going to the beach and vegging out -- while others like to maximize their sight-seeing adventures. To that end, I have developed two different levels of participation:
- Beach Bumb: you will read 3 books during this time frame (a leisurely book-a-month); cross-over book selections from other challenges may count; and you do not have to list books in advance -- after all, summer vacation is a time for spontaneity.
- Globe Trotter: you will commit to reading 6 pre-selected books during this time frame, but you may substitute up to 3 books due to changes in travel plans. Cross-overs for 5 out of the 6 books are allowed, but ideally one book will be read for this challenge alone.
Sign up and Reviews: If interested in this challenge, please sign up using the Mr. Linky form at the bottom of the post. Once the challenge starts, I will try to set up a Mr. Linky for the actual links to your completed book reviews. I think it will be fun to be armchair travellers for one another.
Prizes: You bet! I will offer one "fun" prize for those who sign up for the challenge prior to May 15. All participants will be entered and a random name drawn. There are several ways to better your chances of winning:
- one entry for signing up for the Beach Bumb level
- two entries for signing up as a Globe Trotter
- three entries for blogging and/or tweeting about the challenge
- five entries for following my humble blog.
There will also be a prize awarded at the end of the challenge. You must complete the challenge in order to qualify for the drawing - but for each book read and reviewed, you will have one submitted entry. The grand prize will be a $20 Amazon gift certificate --- a great way to start the new fall reading season!
So there you have it -- my first hosted challenge. I hope I haven't omitted anything of great importance.
Please feel free to snag one of the two buttons that Robin made for this challenge and place it on your blog. Don't forget to sign up using Mr. Linky. I hope that this proves to be a fun, relaxing, stress-free challenge experience for everyone.