Sunday, February 18, 2018

Sunday Salon: Returning to My Roots



I began My Cozy Book Nook in 2009. I joined the book blogging community with gusto - thrilled to find others as excited about literature as I am.

While a bibliophile at heart, my interests expanded over time. I wanted to blog (connect) about writing and journaling and photography. But this created a blog-identity crisis. Am I book review blog - a lifestyle blog - do I even have a niche?! Consequently, my blog posts were sporadic at best.


I hope this return to the blogosphere will stick. I want to be consistent in sharing my reviews, thoughts, and passions. I miss the meaningful connection in my life.

But I need to be mindful how I spend my time. I can't allow blogging to overtake my life - like it did at one time. If I wasn't visiting and commenting on other sites (to the tune of two hours a day), I was crafting a book review to include quotes and insights. My focus on the blog diminished my joy of reading - which defeated the purpose.

So, in an effort to increase connection and still maintain an active, fun vibrant reading/writing life ... I have started a YouTube channel where I plan to upload videos on a variety of topics:

  • Book Hauls (Library Loot)
  • Book reviews
  • Books I want to read
  • Lesson plans I used in the classroom to teach the classics
  • Lesson plans .... to teach academic writing
  • Lesson plans ... to teach creative writing (how to write a novel in a year)
  • My writing process
  • My writing life
My plan is to maintain both this blog and the video channel. At this point I'm not sure what that will look like, but I hope it leads to meaningful connection with others on topics I care about deeply.


Today I thought I would share the books I've read so far this year: 15 books total!

As you can tell from this image, my literary interests are rather eclectic. The collection illustrates my areas of focus for 2018:
Next week I plan to share books currently on my nightstand.

In the meantime, here is my welcome video. I hope to "see" you soon...

12 comments:

  1. Blogging can become all consuming - that's why I've had to cut back too. I hope this new plan works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy ... it is because of online friendships like yours that I want to remain active in the book blogging community. I hope to be a better blogger and blog reader in the future :)

      Delete
  2. I like your idea for the YouTube channel, and you look very natural in front of the camera. As to blogging, I’ve had similar difficulties in sustaining a blog over the long haul. Our interests change; our lives change; we’re not the same people we were before. I am also attempting to get back into blogging at this time. Book blogging is still a large, vibrant community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy ... I am so glad we have not lost touch over the years. You are so right... lives and interests do change, but I am hoping to maintain connection with those I've followed over the years. I look forward to visiting your blog on a regular basis :)

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your new venture. I hope you have fun with it. I’m not sure what will happen to my blog after I retire in May. I’m sure I will revamp it in some way. I’m especially thinking about my librarian icon. Perhaps I will shake my hair out of my bun and jump on a motorcycle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize you were retiring in May?! CONGRATULATIONS! I know that trip to Italy will be the perfect start to this new chapter of life :)

      Delete
  4. It looks like you have read some fabulous books already this year! Thrillers aren't what I pick up first, but The Wife Between Us was a character driven thriller that I recently enjoyed. Once in awhile I like a thriller in my rotation! Good luck with the reading blogging balance, it is a real struggle at times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen The Wife Between Us and have almost picked it up on several occasions. Perhaps that will be my next "thriller" to read in 2018 :)

      Delete
  5. So glad to reconnect with you, Molly! Blogging - well, as you may or may not remember, my journey has been off and on. I'm back, for now anyway. My husband had surgery in December and both of us spent several weeks fairly confined to home. I opened my blog back up at that time and am enjoying it. However, I've already decided that I'll come and go as I like. It's really for me and helping me record my thoughts about books, while also sharing that book love with others.

    You'll find your balance and just remember, it's all good. This is for our pleasure, but it doesn't hurt if others enjoy it too. LOL

    If you want suggestions on thrillers/mysteries/crime novels, take a look at what I read. Those are often my go-to books. Not always, but often. I will say that I'm on a psychological thriller break right now. Too many too close together. Started making me annoyed and they all seemed alike - kind of like when every thriller had 'Girl' in the title. My review of The Woman in the Window will be up on Monday.

    Oh, one more thing - I support and applaud your health/movement quest. It's good for us. I have been working hard toward that goal myself. I've lost quite a bit of weight and it has been very, very good for me. I listen to audiobooks and that keeps me walking and walking and walking. Take care and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "This is for our pleasure" ... you are SO right, and I am trying hard to always remember to find the joy in the moment.

      I will definitely check out your thriller reviews. I anticipate adding several titles to the growing TBR list :)

      Delete
  6. I've heard great things about Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day! I've read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn twice and I really liked it both times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things about the Artisan Bread book too... not sure why I'm procrastinating in the kitchen though :) Thanks for stopping by "the nook" and commenting, Angela!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails