Saturday, November 18, 2017

Totoro Family Recipes: Angel Bites

Most of you would recognize this confection as Puppy Chow, but in our family, it is affectionately known as Angel Bites. Personally, I think we should rename the recipe and call it "Heavenly Crack" ... because once I take a single bite, I can't seem to stop.

My mom collected angels for years. At one time she was even a member of the Angel Collector's Club of America. At one of their annual conventions, she purchased a fundraiser cookbook that included this recipe, and it was love at first bite.

When Mom passed, she left two curio cabinets filled with ceramic angels. Some exquisite Lladros and Hummels from my devoted father, but mostly inexpensive gifts from doting grandchildren. We gave several away but I held onto a few, a fond memory of our beloved Gram.

Ingredients:
  • 1 box Crispix cereal (I've tried the generic... Crispex really is the best)
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1.5 cups chocolate chips (I sometimes use a mix of semi-sweet and milk chocolate)
  • 3/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1 pound powdered sugar
Directions:
  1. Pour cereal into a large bowl.
  2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter, chocolate chips, and peanut butter.
  3. Once melted, remove from heat and pour evenly over the cereal.
  4. Mix until well blended.
  5. Pour half the powdered sugar into a large paper sack (or I sometimes use a 2-gallon plastic bag).
  6. Pour the coated cereal mixture into the bag.
  7. Pour remaining powdered sugar on top of the cereal.
  8. Close bag tightly and shake vigorously. Ensure all cereal is well coated with sugar.
  9. Pour into large airtight container. Leave cover off until cereal has cooled completely.
Technically, one batch should serve a large crowd, but in our household, it barely lasts through the night.


This post is part of BethFishReads Weekend Cooking LinkUp. For more delicious recipes, please visit her weekly blog feature.

** For those who may have noticed, this is a repeat post from another blog. I'm trying to consolidate Totoro Family Recipes in one place. Please pardon the redundancy.


SaveSave

10 comments:

  1. This does sound like an addicting combo of ingredients! Cute little angels -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addicting for sure - which is why I only make it the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas :)

      Delete
  2. OMG -- this sounds awesome. I can see why this could be eaten in a flash, all in one evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the sweet equivalent to a Lays potato chip "no one can eat just one" :)

      Delete
  3. Crispix hasn't been on our breakfast table lately... I can't think why. I see what you mean about this disappearing in no time!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny... I never think of eating Crispix as a breakfast cereal. It is only an ingredient for angel bites :)

      Delete
  4. I want to make a big bowl of this but I know from past experience that I would not be able to leave it alone. ;-)

    The angels are beautiful--so nice to have along with the precious memories of your mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself constantly saying "just one more small bite..." :)

      Delete
  5. I've never been quite sure what puppy chow was - for dogs? Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest - I never understood the original name, Puppy Chow. I think the name Angel Bites is much more palatable :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails