Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Leading a Student Tour to Europe

In a few weeks I will be leading my fourth student tour to Europe.

Since this will most likely be my last such trip, I thought I would share my experiences - what I've learned as well as a few travel trips - with others who might consider such an endeavor.

I first had this idea in 2006 - the first year I taught British Literature. I knew I was unqualified (I majored in French and Political Science) and I felt completely inadequate. I reasoned if I visited the birthplace of the authors and their stories, the literature would come to life. And if this would be true for me, wouldn't it also be helpful for students?
After doing a bit of online research, I discovered EF Tours - a company that excels at coordinating teacher-led student tours. I requested information, spoke to a tour consultant, and well... the rest is history.

In 2007 I took a total of thirteen students and chaperones to London. This was an ideal first trip. Not only would it help me become a better teacher, but we did not have to worry about speaking the language. In addition, we stayed in the same hotel for all six days, which decreased the possibility of lost luggage.

In 2008 I took another group of seven students and chaperones on the same trip. I tried to lead a third group in 2010, but there was not enough interest. While disappointed, I figured this was a twice-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I was grateful for the experience.

Three years later, however, I was approached by a parent who wanted her youngest child to have the same travel opportunity her sibling experienced in 2008. With two tours under my belt, and an increased confidence in teaching Brit Lit, I decided to register for a different tour.

So in 2015 I led a group of 38 students, parents, and chaperones on a whirlwind, fun-packed 12-day tour of seven cities in three countries: London, Paris, Florence, Rome, Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri. It was glorious! Not perfect.... for no trip is without its mishaps and hiccups ... but glorious nevertheless.

When I returned home, I thought my student travel days were over. After all, this trip was supposed to be my swan song - my last teacher responsibility before I fully retired. But that was short-lived.

Three months later I was asked to lead another group tour by a parent who wanted a younger sibling to have the same experience as her older sister. Sound familiar? How could I refuse.

So here I am. Getting ready to lead another group of 38 students, parents, and chaperones on the same 12-day, jam-packed tour. And I am just as excited as the first trip I took in 2007.

For this series of posts, I plan to share:
Later, I will showcase the highlights in each of the seven cities.

Have you visited any of these European cities? Do you have any recommendations of what we should see - do - experience? I'd love to hear your suggestions.



8 comments:

  1. This sounds like a blast. Fun. And terrifying. I hope you have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All three adjectives accurately describe the experience :)

      Delete
  2. You are very brave! And I'll enjoy reading about it. And no, I've never visited anywhere outside the US. I am not a good traveler at all. Certainly not on long plane flights. Anyway, I travel vicariously through others. And books. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kay... think of plane travel as forced reading time :)

      I love to read travel books as well. If I can't visit a place in person, at least I can go there through the written word.

      Delete
  3. Rome - the Coliseum - absolutely life-changing to visualize the place where so many Christians gave their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all so overwhelming the first time I saw it, Rebecca. I'm hoping to absorb more of its impact this trip (and document with photos)

      Delete
  4. Wow - that is a jam packed tour! I've been to all of those places - all fabulous. What a great experience for the students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the exact same tour I took two years ago, but I never tire of seeing the sights :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails