When I first started posting Totoro Family Recipes, the primary reason was to document family favorites for the next generation. I have a Pinterest board to collect them all for easy access.
Most of these family favorites center around the fall holidays, from October 1st through December 31st. I calculated the recipes I wanted I share and the number of weeks until the New Year. And I realized... in order to share them all, I had to start mid-August!
Be prepared for Christmas cookie recipes sometime before Thanksgiving :)
This week, however, I thought I would share a fall classic: Pumpkin Muffins. I figure if Starbucks can serve Pumpkin Spice Lattes this early in the season, I can offer pumpkin bread recipes.
Ingredients (cut in half from the original):
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/3 cup shortening (I use butter)
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1.3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- In a separate large bowl, combine wet ingredients: shortening (butter), pumpkin, eggs, sugar, milk, dates, and walnuts.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until batter is blended (don't be concerned if small bits of shortening remain - they will disappear in baking).
- Fill greased muffin tins about 1/2 full with batter.
- Bake in 350 degree oven approximately 13-15 minutes
- This 1/2 recipe yields approximately 36 mini-muffins
This post is part of BethFishRead's Weekend Cooking Link-Up. For more delicious recipes, please visit her weekly blog feature.